Oct 10, 2015
charleston, AR
Hi. Glad to be here. In ground pool has been neglected the last couple of months due to changing jobs but back on top now. Was thinking of putting a temporary green house like a hoop house over my in ground pool and trying to heat and care for it this winter. I'll read pool school and the likes before any real questions. But happy for any advice. Thanks and I'll research h and learn.

Welcome to TFP! :wave: We're happy you found us. Also, please don't forget to add your pool info to your signature by going to the top of the TFP web page (just under the Pool School button) and select "SETTINGS". On the next page look to the left for a menu bar that says, “MY SETTINGS” and go to "EDIT SIGNATURE" to enter your pool and equipment info there. It will help us later.

Welcome!

Hi Alan, and Welcome to TFP, :wave:

We're all really glad you're here.

If you don't already have one of the recommended test kits that would be the single best investment you can make to properly managing, and cleaning up your pool.

Below are the Links for the only 2 kits we recommend here at TFP because their accuracy, and ability to test at higher levels, can't be done with any other test kits.

1)TF-100- which is the best bang for your buck as it is an awesome kit, and has a lot more reagents than the other one does.
It is sold at http://tftestkits.net/TF-100-Test-Kit-p4.html ALSO at the bottom of that page you will see an additional option that says XL option, you might want to check that box too because if your pool has been unattended awhile odds are a SLAM- http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/125-slam-shock-level-and-maintain-shockingl will be needed to get it cleaned up, and you'll be doing a lot of testing at 1st, so that XL option is an excellent addition.

OR

2) Taylor K-2006- This kit is sold at http://tftestkits.net/Taylor-K-2006-p27.html also sold at several places online, and some of your local pool stores may also sell them. BUT since a SLAM is most likely going to be needed I would highly recommend #1 because with this one you will end up having to purchase more reagents right in the middle of your SLAM (LOL ask me how I know :()?

Again welcome to TFP. Feel free to ask any questions you may have a long the way. We look forward to helping you get your pool cleaned up so you can enjoy it. Have a wonderful day :).

This is this year in its prime but it is green as can be from several months of neglect and no use. I have drained some and started to put some fresh in and after an hour of fighting persuaded a snake to leave. So will fill and start the pump. Take new tests and go from there. Would like to use bleach, Baking soda and Borax but if recommended Ill pay for chems again.

pool.jpg

You have a beautiful pool Alan. LOL did you say a SNAKE was in your pool? :shock: I'm not keen on swimming with snakes at all, and suspect you aren't either, so I'm glad he headed on somewhere else.

As Texas Splash said stick to what works and our methods work great. We can certainly help you get your pool cleaned out using our methods. As Kim asked above what are you using as your source of chlorine. Have you been using pucks, powdered shock, or liquid bleach? Knowing what's been used/is being used in your pool helps us to help you better, but there is no reason why you can't have a beautiful clean pool that is extremely easy to manage using the inexpensive TFP method to do it. :)

I saw the added info in your Signature on your testing: We don't recommend using strips, or pool store testing as neither are accurate. Unfortunately, your Taylor 2000 will only read up to 10ppm (I suspect the others you have will only read up to FC 5-10ppm also), a SLAM will be increasing your FC levels higher than that, so a kit that can test those higher levels will be needed to properly SLAM your pool.

I hope this helps, and I really, really hope Mr. Snake does Not come back LOL. Have a wonderful day. :)

That is a pretty pool and area! Now show us just how bad it is now. Take a pic looking down at your stairs. That will help you and us watch it turn back into what you know it can be-a jewel!

Please go to my siggy and order the TF-100 XL. That is what you are going to need to help you clear the pool. There are other test kits BUT with it being green this one is the best bang for your buck.

To clear a pool:

-Test kit
-bleach
-more bleach
-testing with kit
-more bleach

LOL We can help you clear it!

Kim

Here is what I have now. :( Currently not treating but in the best part of the season my CYA went really high i assume from the pucks. so after reading the site for months i learned that more CYA mean more chlorine. battled for a while then finally caught up and the original picture. I changed jobs involuntarily and had to save the money I used to run the pump and purchase chems. Now i have the wild idea and with a new job to cover the pool(Temporary greenhouse, more permanent if i like it), heat it and make up for lost time and maybe swim during the off season. Maybe unrealistic but i welcome the challenge. Any thoughts and advice would be awesome.

snake.jpgsnake2.jpg

Alan, we've seen many pools like yours this season - snake included. :) It's definitely something you can fix if you stick to our TFP basics:
- You must have the FAS-DPD testing portion (R-0870 powder and R-0871 drops). That is a must to test the FC at high (accurate) levels. You can get it from the TF-100 link below.
- You must be able to confirm your CYA within =/- 10 ppm. From there, you will know for sure what FC you need to maintain on the Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart.
- Make sure pH is 7.2-7.4 before starting treatment, then .....
- "SLAM" via Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain. Follow that SLAM page to the letter and you will have clear water. There are no shortcuts in chemicals or testing though. Follow those simple steps and you'll be posting clear water pics before you know it. :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Best thing to do right now is simply add one gallon of regular bleach to the water each day. That's just to try and keep it from getting too much worse. In the meantime, try and sweep/scoop any junk out of the pool you can. This will help a lot as well. Once you receive the kit, post some good test results for us and we can get very accurate with your treatment. Have a nice evening.