Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Automation?

1. Back To Top    #1

San Diego, Ca.

Is there a system that automatically dispenses liquid chlorine into the pool at a predetermined amount and time? I'm frequently gone for several weeks and don't want to hire a pool guy.
    30,000 Gal. - 40x20x8 - Plaster - SWG Pentair IC 60 - Hayward Pheonix 4x Vacuum - Hayward c1750 Cartridge Filter - Hayward 3/4hp pump - Pool is 45 years old.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Longview, Texas

Re: Automation?

yes, there are a couple. One is called the liquidator. Another is caled the Chemigem. They do have to be cleaned and maintained periodically as calcium has a habit of scaling in the small tubes and orifices.

As well, many folks here have made their own dispensers using a stenner pump, and a few parts for considerably less money than a ready made one, and the home made ones generally seem to be more reliable.
    Do a search on the forum (top right of the page), and you will get lots of hits on the subject.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge. Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

3. Back To Top    #3

And there is always SWG. A salt water chlorine generator will make chlorine from the salt in the water, then it is converted back to salt and the process is repeated. You control the amount of chlorine by simply turning a dial up or down.
    Tucson, AZ
    19k gallon Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS (3 hp) 011018, Super II 2hp (for spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE filter, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

4. Back To Top    #4
    Columbia, SC

As chief points out, a salt water chlorine generator is the most popular method of automating chlorine in the pool.

As my wife will attest to, I always have to be different and wen with a Stenner pump to inject liquid chlorine. I just like being able to "see" the tank of chlorine and the level going down day by day so I know it's working. But, I'm still toting chlorine jugs the SWCG folks don't have to carry!

My Stenner Install - July 2014
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon