Two things...

Jumpin' Joan

LifeTime Supporter
Sep 6, 2015
Las Cruces, NM
Before relocating posts from one category to another, perhaps it would be worth the time to take a look at the context of the question.

For example: I recently had a persistent problem with subtle hazing in my water after a successful ascorbic acid treatment despite passing multiple OCLT tests with 0/.5 CC readings. My original thread was a long one and the reason I posted my specific query elsewhere (after asking the question several times in my original thread which was left unanswered) was to draw attention from other sources to understand the reasoning behind the standard SLAM response. Another benefit would have been to find other causes for that pesky transparent hazing.

Instead, the post was moved and an administrator response followed: "The truth however is that almost always cloudy water is caused by improper water chemistry. Almost always this points to algae growing in the pool. That's one of the reasons we use this as an indicator for when you need to SLAM the pool. Now with that said, you're definitely in a different boat than the normal user somewhat just finishing the AA treatment. That does bring with it a handful of different 'requirements' and challenges." Notably, none were offered.

Another terse response (from the moderator who moved my post) was "Have you passed the OCLT in previous testing? If you have, then it is time to start investigating other causes of clouding." Clearly, that person did not place my re-categorized post in context nor did they see fit to offer what causes should be investigated.

Not to be deterred, I kept using your search engine and the answer was actually found here: Lowering PH before shocking in post #8. In addition I found this comment struck a chord... "I can see how, under certain circumstance, this could confuse some people (and those trying to help them) about what the clouding issue is. It took me a while for the light to come on to realize why my bleach additions occasionally clouded the pool."

Bottom line, I discovered the same thing geekgranny did when dropping my pH to 7.2 in preparation for a SLAM I really didn't want to do (and really didn't need to do).

Which brings me to my second suggestion...

Since the goal of TFP (as I understand it) is to educate the poster, then that poster deserves some consideration when unusual circumstances arise as opposed to handing off blanket statements with no suggestions for further investigation.

In other words, an appropriate link or two (even if drawn from the archives) would serve the purpose without re-typing long explanations. And in my case, which did have a signature showing high calcium and copper content in water supply and repetitive posts asking about hazy water with passing OCLT readings, it would have been most helpful.

I do realize the general population doesn't always want to take the time to read nor truly understand how our pool chemistry works and why it doesn't... but some of us do and we're worth the effort.

In any case, I continue to support TFP and am grateful for the information available here. I will also never regret finding a simpler and more earth friendly way of managing my now 13 year old pool without being held hostage by a pool supply dealer.

Normally. I would send a PM to reply but perhaps this will help others by making a public post.

1. Moderating this forum takes a lot of effort AND it takes a lot of intuition and insight. Our moderators have proven again and again that they make consistently good decisions......that's why they have been selected as moderators.

2. To criticize a moderators decisions in public on post placement is just plain bad manners and demonstrates a lack of understanding of how best to make this forum work smoothly.

3. If any members have a complaint about the actions of a moderator, you can simply report the post. Again, posting your issue in public is a no-no and will seldom, if ever, garner you any sympathy.

Please accept this post as a public apology for any misunderstanding.

For what it's worth, I do appreciate the administration and moderating skills extended here and I am not new to message boards having moderated one myself for senior caregivers. Yet, none of us are infallible.

That stated, there was no intent to groundlessly call out any moderator... rather it was to cite a specific example and why blanket transfers of posts could use a little more discretion considering context before doing so or even provide suggestions to the poster via a link in their own response when time is limited. We may not agree but that was my sole purpose for the two suggestions offered... not to garner sympathy but a hope to improve what I find is a terrific site.

Lastly, I am not here to argue but am here to learn. If you like, feel free the strike the post. It will not alter my allegiance nor my position.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.