Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: SLAM Success! Now on to Killing Metal Stains!

1. Back To Top    #1

SLAM Success! Now on to Killing Metal Stains!

hi all,
    So my SLAM was a complete and total success! Here I am a week later still trying to get my FC level down! The water is crystal clear and I've turned my SWG down to 50%, decreased my pump run time to about 12 hours per day. My FC level is still 21! Amazing.

So, I'm considering starting my ascorbic acid treatment. I have nasty metal stains on the liner. I know this as I've tried ascorbic acid before and it clears them up...only to return in a week or so. That's before I found the experts at TFP!

I ended up buying 9 lbs of ascorbic acid from the Chemistry Store link I found here, so in theory I should have plenty for my pool. I've read and read again the post here on ascorbic acid treatment.

My issue is simply going to be getting the FC level down to a point where I don't need 50 lbs of ascorbic acid. I sure hate the thought of cleaning out the bleach section at WalMart again to get my FC back up, but so be it! I'm determined to get my liner back to the blue color it once was.

Any suggestions? I have some Chlorine neutralizer I bought at my local Leslie's. Short of dumping that in there, not sure how to get my FC level down quickly.

Also, I'm a little confused about what to add to the water when I'm starting my treatment, i.e. sequestering agent.

Thanks all!
    Scott
    30,000 Gallon Vinyl In Ground salt water Pool/Aquarite T-15 SWG/Pentair Clean & Clear Plus Cartridge Filter/Polaris 360 pool vac/TF-100 Test Kit w/speed stir

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: SLAM Success! Now on to Killing Metal Stains!

Cut your pump run time down to 6 hours and turn off your SWG. Continue to monitor your FC. It should drop down. You can use lots of 3% hydrogen peroxide to neutralize chlorine but turning off the chlorine source and waiting is the safest method

Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: SLAM Success! Now on to Killing Metal Stains!

Matt,
    Will do. This pool water has never looked better. Cleaning my filter cartridges (again) they look like green slime and my pressure was going through the roof 30psi on the filter.
    I'm hoping I can get through till spring with these cartridges. They're about a year and a half old.

Scott
    Scott
    30,000 Gallon Vinyl In Ground salt water Pool/Aquarite T-15 SWG/Pentair Clean & Clear Plus Cartridge Filter/Polaris 360 pool vac/TF-100 Test Kit w/speed stir

4. Back To Top    #4

SLAM Success! Now on to Killing Metal Stains!

Yep. That green gunk is all the algae crud from the SLAM. If you maintain the TFP recommended levels, your pool will remain awesome. There are members here who have not had to SLAM their pools for nearly 10years since first getting them TFP clean.

We'll get to those metal stains soon enough. Just let that FC drift down.

Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates