while waiting for the test kit

Oct 10, 2015
Tucson, AZ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
the 15,000 gal plaster pool w/ sand filter & pool vac ultra has been doing just fine with trichlor tabs 1x per week and occasional adjustment of ph. we're about 2 years out in treating the occasional algae(green in shallow shaded spots of the pool) with Silvertrine. was about to drop another $40+ for a quart when I found you folks.

Though I've not read the entirety of this great info I've read enough to know I've got some trouble with what I've been doing, things are about to get out of control (cya has gotten to high- I guess), thus the need for the t-100 test kit which I'm about to order. In that the mail stage doesn't come as regularly as it used to I guess it's about a week away I wanted to ask what to do while waiting.

After thanks to the moderator for the welcome the questions are:

What to do until the real test kit comes:
to tab or not to tab?
or start using bleach?
and if so what is best part of day how much etc? -
and anything else?-

current readings are c=3.0 ish and ph 7.4 ish with a "taylor esque" from Poolmaster 2 vile, 5 reagent test kit

Much thanks for being here

questa macchina

Hello and welcome! Until your TF-100 arrives:
- Add one gallon of regular bleach to the water each day (generic is fine); any time is fine. That's just to hold you over for now.
- Do not add anything else to your water until your kit arrives.
- Remove and tabs/pucks - they drive-up CYA
- Take some time to read the SLAM link below in my sig. Also, please add your pool info to your signature by going to the top of the TFP web page (just under the Pool School button) and select "SETTINGS". On the next page look to the left for a menu bar that says, “MY SETTINGS” and go to "EDIT SIGNATURE" to enter your pool and equipment info there. It will help us later.

Once your kit arrives, pots a full set of readings and we'll go from there. Oh, make sure to ask for the "speed stir"!

if anyone would have told me 2 weeks ago that I can stop using tabs and just add chlorine and no algaecide and my pool would stop having daily algae blooms, i would have said they were crazy. Yet just after 3 days of stopping the tabs and adding a gallon a day the blooms have stopped (at least i cannot see them - and i don't need to brush them away).

TF-100 scheduled to arrive Thursday. woo hoo happy dance now - You guys (and gals) are the best thanks so much

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.