Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Is it OK to close pool with cloudy water?

1. Back To Top    #1

United States

Is it OK to close pool with cloudy water?

Hi, September was a busy month and I didn't get to maintain my pool as much as I would have liked, and algae built up. I swept out what I could through waste, but the water was green. I shocked the pool, then ran algaecide and the water is no longer green, but is cloudy. I can see the bottom of the pool so it's not super cloudy, but I was wondering if I should still continue to make the pool clear (maybe with some clarifier?) before closing. I am going to use Robelle winterizing kit (which worked great last year).... any suggestions? Thanks!

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide
    Howell, New Jersey

Re: Is it OK to close pool with cloudy water?

Please add your signature and possibly location of which State you are located in. It is best to clear up the pool prior to closing. If it is cloudy, then you still have issues that have to be cleared up. It is best to SLAM at this time and close the pool properly. This will help in the spring, in case you wait a little too long and then open up to a green pool.

Additionally, how are you testing your water? Can you please post a full set of test results. Thanks!

Here is some reading information:

Pool School - Pool School

Pool School - Defeating Algae

Pool School - Handy Reference
    14,700 gallons IG Pool Vinyl Liner - Octal Circulation System
    Hayward Pro-Series 350 LB. Sand Filter Model # S270T - 2" Plumping
    Frog Mineralizer System (EMPTY) - Hayward Super Pump 2 HP Model # k48m2n111
    Pool Company tests water (NO LONGER) TF-100 TEST KIT
    Date of Build is 11-2013

3. Back To Top    #3

Central NJ

Re: Is it OK to close pool with cloudy water?

It would be best to clear up your pool now and have less issues when you open it. Clarifier? No need for that! Read the pool school and start the SLAM process get it clear and then close it.
    23K gallon, IG, Vinyl, Hayward DE-3600 Filter, Raypak 406A Heater, Hayward 1.5HP SP2610X15 pump aka AO Smith UST1152, TF-100 Test Kit