Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: This or That?

1. Back To Top    #1

This or That?

Will a pool with 7 FC+60 CYA prevent algae better than a pool with 4 FC + 30 CYA?
    35,000 Gal. - 40x20x8 - Plaster - SWG Pentair IC 60 - Barracuda G3 Vacuum - Hayward c1750 Cartridge Filter - Blue Torrent VS 1.5hp pump - Pool is 45 years old.

"I'd build a deck over my pool if I didn't have a SWG"

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: This or That?

LOL, will you be grading on a curve?
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

3. Back To Top    #3

Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

Here is our go to for that.

Kim

- - - Updated - - -

Six of one, half a dozen of another
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

ha ha. I was going to take a stab at this one as follows: Others may have a more scientific reply, but I'll simply start by saying that from an FC/CYA ratio position, they are equally efficient. The driving factor for which one to use is the amount of exposure your pool receives to sunlight. Pools typically found in the hotter parts of the country (Florida, Texas, Arizona, etc) are known for requiring a higher CYA/FC level to combat the sun. Less extreme regions, or locations that receive a good amount of shade, can manage an FC/CYA level much lower. Regardless of which one is used in the applicable situation, they provide equal benefits of sanitation and UV protection. The key is to always ensure the FC and CYA are balanced together as noted on the Chlorine/CYA chart.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

5. Back To Top    #5

Yea but I typed less than you and said about the same thing! LOL

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Philo View Post
    Will a pool with 7 FC+60 CYA prevent algae better than a pool with 4 FC + 30 CYA?
    Talking about preventing algae in a non-SWCG pool both are about the same.

Kim has already linked to the FC/CYA chart and I'll spill the beans about the "secret sauce" behind it - 7.5%

You need t0 have FC 7.5% of the CYA in the water as your minimum FC to prevent algae, again in non-SWCG pool.

4 FC + 30 CYA = 13% +/-
    7 FC+60 CYA = 12% +/-

So, both are above the 7.5% minimum

As always Chem Geek says it best:

Quote Originally Posted by chem geek View Post
    A reasonable approximation to the above table is the following:
    .... "Min FC" is 7.5% of the CYA level
    .... "Target FC" is 11.5% of the CYA level
    .... "Yel/Mstrd Min" is 15% of the CYA level
    .... "Shock FC" is 40% of the CYA level
    .... "Yel/MstrdShock" is 60% of the CYA level
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

7. Back To Top    #7

In practice, I think that the higher levels are better because there is more reserve. The lower the level, the more difficult it is to maintain a consistent level. I like to keep the cya at 40 to 80.

8. Back To Top    #8

So the bottom line is that if you are able to consistently maintain the FC level, then they are close to the same at preventing algae growth (8 ppm FC with 60 ppm CYA would be almost exactly the same) and everything else associated with the active chlorine level such as the rate of oxidation of bather waste, swimsuits, skin, and hair. If you are manually dosing the pool and especially if it is outdoors, then the FC will drop from the chlorine breakdown from sunlight so as James wrote the higher FC and CYA levels give you more buffer against having the FC/CYA ratio get too low.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"