Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: 12V LED Strip lights under the lip of the pool - Bad Idea/Non Code Compliant?

1. Back To Top    #1

Post 12V LED Strip lights under the lip of the pool - Bad Idea/Non Code Compliant?

Greetings All,

I saw some cool LED strip pool lighting like the this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cT4VPrvc5rE

However, thinking in my situation adding led lighting to a pool via surface mounted conduit - it probably not code compliant/safe?

My situation/idea:
    - Wiring to current underground lighting to the in ground pool looks to be severed somewhere (Was like this before I got the place last year) - bypassing this entire setup
    - Idea to get LED strip to pool
    - Get a 12V "pool safe" transformer connected to a GFCI outlet 15' from the pool
    - Run the 12V lines in surface mount conduits to the pool
    - Run the 12v line to under the lip of the pool in a flexible cable track - like this: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Wiremold-...DI-5/100095586 - would use pool epoxy putty or other adhesive to hold the track down and use clamps while it cured in the C shape it needs to make to get over the pools edge and under the pool lip -- seeing this part typed out makes this idea look really really horrible......anyway on with the train wreck....
    - run the IP68 LED strip lighting under the pool lip - and either adhere it every 3" with epoxy pool putty (held down with clamps until cured) or use the plastic clips and find some what to attach those to the concrete underside of the lip.

Really bad idea right?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: 12V LED Strip lights under the lip of the pool - Bad Idea/Non Code Compliant?

Quote Originally Posted by Pool_Bob View Post

Really bad idea right?
    Yes.

LED strips around the pool edge?
    20' x 40' 30,000 gallon IG Plaster with Spa, wading pool, fountain built 1993
    Pentair 011018 IntelliFlo / 2HP fountain pump / 2 HP spa jet punp / Jandy Ji8000 controller with IntelliComm II interface to IntelliFlo
    Crystal Water Aqua Clean 60 Sq ft DE filter / FlowVis Flow / Stenner DIY Chlorinator / The Poolcleaner 4-wheel / Taylor K-2006

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

Re: 12V LED Strip lights under the lip of the pool - Bad Idea/Non Code Compliant?

It's done all the time. Many posts here with pictures and videos. Just be sure to waterproof all connections.
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

4. Back To Top    #4

There are LED strip light kits made for pools. Many of them are designed to be submersible.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

There's also fiber optic light kits that offer lighting without any risk of electrics under water.

A friend of mine gave me his made for a spa with extra long fiber rope. same application.

The main box with a halogen sits in the equipment room then the fiber is laid out in the pool between
    coping and pool with black out tape on the part before its in the pool.
    16x32 IG Vinyl, 13,000 Gals. Hayward S-244T sand filter, SP2810X15 pump
    (1.5 HP motor) Raypak PR266AEN (266k btu) gas heater. TF-100 Test Kit.
    Dolphin E10 Cleaning Robot.