Newbie with cloudy pool - Test results are here

Oct 6, 2015
TX
Hello everyone,
So my test came in the mail today! And as I opened the box I realized I had ordered the K-2600 instead of TF-100. Oh well!

Here are my test results:

FC 7.5
CC 1
pH 7.6
TA 100
CYA 100
CH 110

I've put in three gallons of regular bleach over the past three days.
Water is still cloudy.
What shall I do next?
Many thanks!

SLAM is the order of the day. I would consider doing a partial drain to lower the CYA to the 60-70 ppm range before SLAMing. Read through the SLAM procedure in Pool School, also a link in my signature. Keep in mind that it is a process of MAINTAINING an elevated FC level as regularly as possible until you pass the 3 criteria.

The K-2006 will be fine but you might have to order reagents for some tests much sooner than you would have with the TF-100.

If your CYA is 100 then it might actually be even more. Take the advice above and do a partial drain first to lower the CYA to recommended levels. You'll have to buy stock in Clorox to do a SLAM at 100+ CYA.

Hello everyone, After a partial drain and refill, here are the latest results:
FC 3.2
CC 0.4
pH 8.0
CYA 60!!

I just added some acid to bring pH down to 7.2 (the amount suggested by pool math). Should I wait to retest pH before starting SLAM or can I go ahead and start?

Thanks!

Yep, pretty hot here as well!

So I confirmed pH=7.2 and started SLAM at 6 pm. Just tested again and results are FC 28 and CC 0.5. (I guess I added more bleach than I thought) I will re-check in the morning and proceed accordingly.

In interest of conserving reagents, can I decrease the sample size for chlorine test even further by half? So instead of 10 ml, can I use 5 ml? What would be the conversion for each drop?

I didn't test calcium and TA today. Am I correct in assuming these can be fixed once water is clear?

Thank you all for your help!

Last edited:
Yes, you can use the 5 ml to save reagent and multiply by 1 - basically the total drop count will be your FC. Keep in mind that it will reduce accuracy a bit. Still, many folk will use this approach during the early part of a SLAM to save reagents because of the frequent tests when you are keeping your FC levels up. Later however, when you get close to the end of the SLAM and want to have more precise results for OCLT, definitely go to larger (standard) sample sizes.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Another update: Test at 11am (earlier test was 8am)

FC 26.5
CC <0.5

Why is the pool still cloudy and greenish?

FC level for CYA=60 is 24. I must have put more in my excitement. Should I just wait until it gets lower than 24 to add?

Well, it looks like after your drain and refill to lower CYA, you really only started the SLAM about a day ago. So now it's time to just let the bleach do it's job killing the algae. At the same time, don't overlook any of the items noted on the SLAM page (i.e. sweeping, brushing, cleaning the filter, inspecting ladders/behind lights, etc) as all of those things work together to clear the water. A SLAM could take a few days for pools with mild/moderate algae, to longer for pools that are dark green link a swamp. But the bleach will work. At least you appear to be able to maintain FC fairly well. That's a big deal during a SLAM.

- - - Updated - - -

The little extra FC won't hurt anything. Just adjust accordingly for the next time. :)

+1 to all Texas Splash's excellent info above.

Hi Cal,
Congrats on getting your CYA down to a manageable level. You did excellent!!!

It may take a little while to get all the algae completely killed out, and the cloudiness resolved, but I promise you if you keep at it, it will work. So hang in there!!!

As Texas stated above, "a little extra FC won't hurt anything." I actually set my target at 1-2ppm above my Shock level for a little extra insurance that I remained at, or slightly above my shock level, at all times, during my SLAM. That way if I had made an error in reading my CYA test, or was unable to check it for awhile, or whatever, I was covered. Of course, you don't want to go a lot higher as that too can be a problem, but a Target of say 25-26ppm, as opposed to 24ppm in your hot Texas sun will be no problem at all. Also ensure your filter is running 24/7, and the combination of all the things will have your pool clean, and clear before you know it. :)

Keep up the great job, and have a wonderful day. :)

Mine wasn't a green swamp either, just cloudy and a little green and it took me somewhere between a week and 10 days to complete the SLAM. Somewhere between 2 and 4 days into it my wife was saying maybe we should hire a pool service because it wasn't getting any clearer. I explained the process to her and said we would NOT be hiring a pool service. The next morning it was drastically clearer :D. She hasn't doubted me since then.

Hang in there, it will come around.
Cory

I would strongly suggest that you take pictures everyday. Find a place that looks down into the pool with something leading down into the water. Steps, a ladder, heck, even a vacuum hose and pole. Each day as you work through the SLAM there is going to be a change. It might be subtle, or it might be drastic. Having the pics to look at from day to day will really show the difference.

We'd really like it if you post them here so we can see the progress, too. And maybe notice something that you might miss, being so close to that actual pool.

Thanks all. Yes, my husband has also suggested a pool company to clear it up before I take over regular maintenance. I take serious offence to that :grrrr:

I will start taking pictures and post here.

This morning's results:
FC 25
CC 0.5

Moving right along... :) Have a great day everyone!

You don't really need to do the cartridge filter every day, but make sure you give it a very thorough cleaning then note the pressure when you start it back up and things get equilibrated again. Once it rises 25% above that pressure you know it needs a cleaning, assuming your pressure gauge is working. Doesn't hurt to inspect the filter daily during a SLAM though. Cartridge filters are VERY good at filtration so sometimes they can build up dead algae quickly during a SLAM.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.