Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool Store whirlwind, i want to test everthing

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool Store whirlwind, i want to test everthing

I've tried trusting the Pool Stores and am ready to get off the try 20 different chemicals roller coaster. What do I need to be able to do all my own testing for both my pool and hot tub? I am using bromine in the hot tub and a SWG on the pool. I'm confused between the different test kits and if only 1 kit will cover everything I need. I have started reading the TFPC philosophy.
    33' round x 54" Resin AGP 26k gal, Intellichlor IC40, Hayward pump with DE filter, beaded liner, enclosed with deck.
    Lazyboy Refresh Hot tub, bromine

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool Store whirlwind, i want to test everthing

Welcome to the forum. Hard to beat the TF-100. An article in Pool School compares the recommended test kits for you.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

Hello and welcome to TFP. Good choice on your own testing. I'm with Woody on the TF-100. This should help you:
    - The TF-100 (link below in my sig) will cover everything for your pool and even help to test bromine in your spa. You can use the FAS-DPD chlorine test portion of the TF-100 and just realize that when you are testing Free Chlorine (FC) in that test that you are really testing Total Bromine if you multiply your result by 2.25. Here is a great discussion on that subject: Testing bromine?.
    - Since you have an SWG, you'll need to test for salt separately. You can get the kit for that at the same web site here: TFTestkits.net

If you're curious, here are the test kits compared: Pool School - Test Kits Compared. I have the TF-100 and love it. Make sure to ask for the speed stir to help you mix like a pro. Hope this helps.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

4. Back To Top    #4

Hi hillard,
    congrats on your decision to take control of your pool. In addition to the TF100 already mentioned, if you care to test the salt level also which teh TF100 doesnt cover, then I suggest adding the Taylor K1766 salt test kit to your shopping list.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

5. Back To Top    #5

Thank you for the help! Testing supplies are in and I've been reading more threads on TFP. I feel like I'm finally on the right track to cut the pool store umbilical cord!
    33' round x 54" Resin AGP 26k gal, Intellichlor IC40, Hayward pump with DE filter, beaded liner, enclosed with deck.
    Lazyboy Refresh Hot tub, bromine

6. Back To Top    #6

Welcome! Post some results after you get done with the tests!
    11K gal IG screened-in plaster pool w/ spa
    pentair 150 cartridge filter, Pentair Intelliflow VS pump,
    Aquarite AQR15 SWG, AquaCal Heatwave Heat Pump, TF-100 test kit