Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: First time testing my pool - Advice welcome

1. Back To Top    #1

First time testing my pool - Advice welcome

Hey y'all,

I tested my pool for the first time this morning. Here are the facts I think you might need.

Size: 18,000-18,500 gallons is my best guess
    Gunite, in ground with hot tub (my pool build http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...inions-welcome)
    League City, TX
    OAT: 80 deg PT: 78 deg
    variable speed pump set to 1500rpm for 23 hours a day
    In line chlorinator with 3 inch chlorine pucks
    TF-100 test kit

1 ppm FC using the TF-100, but not sure I did it right because but using the Taylor it's .2 CL
    0 CC (assuming I did it correctly)
    675 CH
    20 CYA (which is puzzling because I've never added any at all, so shouldn't it be 0?)
    7.6 pH

Please help.

My PB put the initial chlorine tabs in and some muriatic acid. He wanted me just to test the chlorine and the pH daily and to add acid if the pH got high due to the plaster curing. I've done that all and now I'm on my own. I really don't think the in-line chlorinator is getting enough chlorine in the pool with the variable pump running at such a low RPM. Of course I didn't plan on continuing using the chlorine pucks because I was going to switch to bleach. But I wanted to do what the PB told me to do for the first 2 weeks. I'm sure I'm not giving you all the information you will need to help me, so please let me know what else I need to do. THANK YOU!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: First time testing my pool - Advice welcome

I'll answer the CYA question, tabs actually use CYA to bind the liquid chlorine into a solid form, so by using pucks, you do actually get CYA in the water.
    5900 G Fiberglass IG pool (circa 1990), SWG Hayward Aqua Rite GoldLine (2013), IntelliFlo Variable Speed Pump (2013), Hayward Pro Sand Filter (circa 1990), Well water (no iron or other metals fortunately), test with Taylor K2006C, Charleston, SC

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

Those tabs are where the CYA is coming from. Most of them are like 50% CYA!!! We strongly recommend discontinuing use of them because of the risk of get too much CYA in the water and then you can't maintain proper chlorine level to produce proper sanitation and algae kill.
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

What help do you need? are you having an issue with your water quality? What does the water look like?

Have you read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School? That'll give you better understanding of what you are testing and WHY you are testing it.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

I've read the ABCs. Water quality looks good. I guess right now my problem is figuring out how to calculate how much bleach to add and determining if my CYA in the ball park.

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by Flounder32 View Post
    I've read the ABCs. Water quality looks good. I guess right now my problem is figuring out how to calculate how much bleach to add and determining if my CYA in the ball park.
    If you go to "Pool Math" and plug in your figures, the calculator will tell you what to add, etc. In addition, there are recommended levels for pools.

Pool School - Recommended Levels

1 ppm FC using the TF-100, but not sure I did it right because but using the Taylor it's .2 CL
    0 CC (assuming I did it correctly)
    675 CH
    20 CYA (which is puzzling because I've never added any at all, so shouldn't it be 0?)
    7.6 pH
    Your may want to increase your CYA to the recommended levels as it is low.

My PB put the initial chlorine tabs
    This is where you CYA came from

Size: 18,000-18,500 gallons is my best guess
    I would ask the PB exactly what the size of the pool is

In addition, your FC levels are low. They should be increased based on your CYA. If they have remained low for a few days, you could have algae even though water is clear. Only way to tell is to perform an overnight test.

Please make sure your read all the articles in "Pool School" to become familiar with the "TFP methodology". It is the only way to take care of a pool.

In the calculator, http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html, you can plug in the size of your pool, 8.25 bleach (if that is what you are using), and the current levels and target levels for FC, based on your CYA. Then the calculator will tell you how much to add. Although, you must test regularly, every other day at a minimum with the TF-100 test kit to make sure you never fall below your levels. It is highly recommended that in the first week that you test daily to determine on average how much chlorine consumption you have. Please feel free to ask questions.
    14,700 gallons IG Pool Vinyl Liner - Octal Circulation System
    Hayward Pro-Series 350 LB. Sand Filter Model # S270T - 2" Plumping
    Hayward CL2002 Chlorinator - Hayward Super Pump 2 HP Model # k48m2n111
    Hayward AQR9 SWG 25K Salt Cell & TF-100 Test Kit + Speed Stir
    Gulfstream HE125RA - 117K BTU Heat Pump - Date of Build is 11-2013

7. Back To Top    #7

Flounder, not sure if you are an Apple or Android person.
    I use an Android app - Pool Pal that supports TFP methodology.
    Initially I setup pool details and target levels.
    I sit out on the patio and test, entering the results into the app.
    The app tells me how much to add.

Being nerdy, I note in the app what I actually added and weekly I enter all these results into a customized spreadsheet on my laptop that I got off this site called Jesse's Graphical Pool Testing Log.
    It gives me a history of the pool chemistry.
    40k gal freeform, IG pebblesheen, 9'x'6' raised spa, 2-1/2 hp Whisperflo, 520 sq/ft cartridge, Legend w/ booster, Intellibrite 5g in pool @ spa, Rainbow 320 Chlorinator(retired),
    Mastertemp 400k BTU, 3x3 hp Whisperflo Swimjets, 2x2 hp Whisperflow for 15ton moss rock waterfall, Intelitouch Controller, 850 sq/ft Travertine deck, Gas/Wood firepit,
    Autofill, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir