Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Closing pool for the winter question.

1. Back To Top    #1

Closing pool for the winter question.

Read the sticky about closing AG pool and it says to drain the pool to 6 inches below returns. But since I have to move ours first thing in the spring so we can put in a patio and it was a bit unlevel I fully drained it. Now we live in the snow belt. I wasnt planning on covering it since its empty and i didnt want the weight of the snow pulling the frame in on itself. So would it be best to add a few inches of water back into it to give it a bit of stabilization or just let the snow do that?

Thanks everyone
    Intex AG metal frame vinyl sides 10,400 gal. 3000 gph intex pump with 16" sand filter
    My Slam

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Closing pool for the winter question.

It would be best to take it down all the way. Without the water to support it, I fear a good stiff MI North wind will knock it down.
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

3. Back To Top    #3

That's why I'm thinking of adding about a foot of water back in just to give the bottoms some support
    Intex AG metal frame vinyl sides 10,400 gal. 3000 gph intex pump with 16" sand filter
    My Slam

4. Back To Top    #4

if you are going to move it later why not take it down now? instead of adding water and then draining it?
    25000 gallon in ground vinyl pool constructed in 1967 9 feet deep Oval. 1.5 hp Sta Rite Dura Glas 2 speed pump with Pentair Triton II TR60 sand filter and Pentair IC40 SWG. Non funtional Pentair Mini Max heater.