Main Drain cover

Oct 8, 2015
Sydney
Dear TFP,

I just drain my swimming pool to resurface it and I have found this at the deepest in swimming pool, I am not sure what it is as show in the photo
maindrain1.jpgmaindrain2.jpg

I am thinking it is main drain and I am unable to dry this area around it because the water keep running out from it.

Anyone know how to open its cover to do sth to make this area dry?

Much appreciate all your advises,

Kevin.

Hi, welcome to TFP! It could be a type of hydrostatic valve under there that allows ground water into the pool so it doesn't "float" out of the ground when you have a high water table. If an area is known to have a high water table then the pool builder will often include a means to relieve the pressure on the pool shell if you drain when a lot of ground water is present. Has there been a lot of rain in your area lately?

Do you know how to open its cover? I tried to lift it up also turn it but it's tight really hard. Also I can't see any screw or sort like that as you can see on photo.

I need to dry this area before I can resurface the in-ground swimming pool.

- - - Updated - - -

Cont -
Also another question, why the water keeps comming out from it, how can I stop it.

Also another question, why the water keeps comming out from it, how can I stop it.
Water keeps coming out of it because there is water under the pool. If you try and stop this, the pool may come out of the ground which would be a disaster. Are you refinishing the pool or hiring it out? What type of refinish are you going with?

I believe there is an epoxy paint that can be applied under water. Something you might want to research.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.