Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Main Drain cover

1. Back To Top    #1

Main Drain cover

Dear TFP,

I just drain my swimming pool to resurface it and I have found this at the deepest in swimming pool, I am not sure what it is as show in the photo
    maindrain1.jpgmaindrain2.jpg

I am thinking it is main drain and I am unable to dry this area around it because the water keep running out from it.

Anyone know how to open its cover to do sth to make this area dry?

Much appreciate all your advises,

Kevin.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Main Drain cover

Hi, welcome to TFP! It could be a type of hydrostatic valve under there that allows ground water into the pool so it doesn't "float" out of the ground when you have a high water table. If an area is known to have a high water table then the pool builder will often include a means to relieve the pressure on the pool shell if you drain when a lot of ground water is present. Has there been a lot of rain in your area lately?
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Do you know how to open its cover? I tried to lift it up also turn it but it's tight really hard. Also I can't see any screw or sort like that as you can see on photo.

I need to dry this area before I can resurface the in-ground swimming pool.

- - - Updated - - -

Cont -
    Also another question, why the water keeps comming out from it, how can I stop it.

4. Back To Top    #4

Also another question, why the water keeps comming out from it, how can I stop it.
    Water keeps coming out of it because there is water under the pool. If you try and stop this, the pool may come out of the ground which would be a disaster. Are you refinishing the pool or hiring it out? What type of refinish are you going with?
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

5. Back To Top    #5

I just want to paint its surface. Need the pool dry to do that but the deepest area is wet because of that.

6. Back To Top    #6

Is there a dryer time of the year you can do this?

The worst thing in the world is to have your pool lift. It is a disaster.
    SWG: CircuPool (May 2014) SI30+Plus; 3000ppm seems ideal;
    My Ideal Specs:
    FC 5; PH 7.4-7.6; TA 90; CH 350; CYA 75; = SI ~ 0.19
    14,000 gal, in ground, plaster, Cartridge filter, Borates
    TAYLOR K - 2006

7. Back To Top    #7

these days are very hot here. However, water at deepest area stop me to paint. I pump it out and it comes out almost right away.

Any ideas how to paint?

8. Back To Top    #8

I believe there is an epoxy paint that can be applied under water. Something you might want to research.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

9. Back To Top    #9

Thanks guys for your info. I have refilled the pool w/o painting.

My local pool store said the hydrostatic valve part that I am using is not stocked anymore and if I break it, I need pro to fix.

Cheers