Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Booster Pump HP

1. Back To Top    #1

Cool Booster Pump HP

I'm buying equipment for my new pool.

I have a lot of trees...Post Oaks...that shed. My builder suggested I get a booster pump for an automatic vacuum.

I'm thinking 1hp. Is that overkill? I see 3/4hp being used. I WILL have leaves...and dogs...and kids/neighbors. I'm wondering if a 1hp may not be as effective.

What say you?

THANKS
    In-ground; 34,000 gal; Pentair Equipment; Hot tub; Bench Entry; Weeping Wall; Happy Family

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Booster Pump HP

What cleaner do you have?

3. Back To Top    #3

If you haven't purchased a cleaner yet, there are plenty of booster-less cleaners to choose from that do as good a job as a booster cleaner.

BTW, welcome to the forum.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

4. Back To Top    #4

Im thinking kreepy krauly legend...

In-ground; 34,000 gal; Pentair Equipment; Hot tub; Bench Entry; Weeping Wall; Happy Family

5. Back To Top    #5

Thank you, mas985

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by JamesW View Post
    What cleaner do you have?
    Thinking Kreepy Krauly Legend...

7. Back To Top    #7

I'm still old-school manual vacuuming , but here is a discussion on the Legend: Kreepy Krauly Legend VS. Legend II. It appears the KK Legend nay require a booster, while the Legend II does not. Still, there are other products that will work well off of the main pump alone. I suspect some other members will chime-in with some other ideas based on what they use. You can also put a key word on the home page search function and see many threads on automated cleaners.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

8. Back To Top    #8

ThePoolCleaner is a very highly rated booster-less pressure side AND suction side cleaner.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

9. Back To Top    #9

Also note that booster pumps are designed for cleaners. You don't choose horsepower. Polaris (Jandy/Zodiac),Hayward and Pentair all have booster pumps that are roughly equal.

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by JamesW View Post
    Also note that booster pumps are designed for cleaners. You don't choose horsepower. Polaris (Jandy/Zodiac),Hayward and Pentair all have booster pumps that are roughly equal.
    Much appreciated.
    U did see sone pymos associated wuth them...are their pumps required?
    I doubt they are as efficient as available...