Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Draining Pool below returns - Is this a problem?

1. Back To Top    #1

Draining Pool below returns - Is this a problem?

I have a small 3/16" per day leak in my vinyl liner pool. I am getting ready to close, I just drained the pool an inch below the skimmers and still have the 3/16" leak. I do not believe it is the plumbing as I sealed all pluming except for the drain and still had the leak. I know you can drain vinyl pools too far...what I want to know is this...

1. Is there a problem with draining below the returns? - Trying to rule out that the place where the return connects to the liner is/is not the culprit
    2. I read here that 8" above the shallow end is about the farthest you can go, definitely stop if the walls start to pull away. How far does TFP recommend is the max?

Thanks in advance folks...
    Owner since August 2014. 21,500G Liner In ground Pool with attached 600G plaster in ground hottub. TF-100 Test Kit, Filter: Pentair TA60D Clearpro Sand (HTH) Filter. Pool: 1 Drain, 2 Skimmers 4 Returns. Hot Tub: 1 drain, 1 skimmer, 2 returns. Hot Tub/Pool run by Sta-Rite Dura Glas Single Speed 1.5hp P2RA5F-182L pump with Emerson K63CXESE4972 motor. Spa jets run by Sta-Rite Dura Glas H/L model number unknown.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Draining Pool below returns - Is this a problem?

Hi, I just read in pool school you can use food coloring to help find leaks. maybe try that around returns?
    15x54 swim & play vinyl metal wall AG
    Hayward S210T sand filter 1.5 HP Pentair Superflo vs
    Rheem raypak 130,000 BTU mv ng
    Jacuzzi 345 whirlpool bath
    TF-100 test kit, HM digital com100 Wanda the Whale

3. Back To Top    #3

I have done that, I just need to know how low I can drain and if past the returns is ok. Thanks though.
    Owner since August 2014. 21,500G Liner In ground Pool with attached 600G plaster in ground hottub. TF-100 Test Kit, Filter: Pentair TA60D Clearpro Sand (HTH) Filter. Pool: 1 Drain, 2 Skimmers 4 Returns. Hot Tub: 1 drain, 1 skimmer, 2 returns. Hot Tub/Pool run by Sta-Rite Dura Glas Single Speed 1.5hp P2RA5F-182L pump with Emerson K63CXESE4972 motor. Spa jets run by Sta-Rite Dura Glas H/L model number unknown.

4. Back To Top    #4

Any help with how far is the max you should drain a liner pool?

5. Back To Top    #5

You can drain a vinyl lined pool as low as leaving 1 foot of water in the shallowest part of the pool without risk of the liner shifting. However, if you have a high water table around the pool or have recently gotten significant rainfall, lowering the water level could allow some water in the ground to seep behind the liner and bubble the liner inward. This is usually only a problem in low lying areas after significant rain fall or pools with poor drainage around them.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks, will be careful with the lowering, if I find it now, before closing I don't have to worry about it this winter.