Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Algaecide 60% Non-Foaming - added to pool,drain off 6 inches into pond with fish?

1. Back To Top    #1

Algaecide 60% Non-Foaming - added to pool,drain off 6 inches into pond with fish?

I wanted to get my algecide into the pool and run the pump for 24 hrs, so I've added it. Now I am going to drain off about 6-10" to get below skimmer intakes (to winterize)
    Will it be ok if I drain that water into my near by pond with fish in it? The pond is about 1 acre in size so I wouldn't think it would be a problem but I don't want to harm my fish. Otherwise, I will have to drain it down into a shallow ditch between my neighbor and I and I don't want him upset.
    In-ground block / vinyl liner 33' x 22' x 5',, approx 25k gals
    Cartridge Filter
    Floor drains, 2 skimmers, 3 return lines (2" plumbing ultra-flex PVC)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Algaecide 60% Non-Foaming - added to pool,drain off 6 inches into pond with fish

What is the specific algecide used? Make/model/contents?

Are there any warnings on the bottle?

My gut reaction would be not to drain intoi the pond with fish, but that is just me. Not only the algecide but chlorine is toxic to fish.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

Re: Algaecide 60% Non-Foaming - added to pool,drain off 6 inches into pond with fish

And it really isn't good for the beneficial algae and bacteria in the pond.
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

4. Back To Top    #4

Dw9000, I too am worried about upsetting the ecosystem of the pond.

But just so you know, my pool tech closes without draining using duck plugs and a gizmo in the skimmer. I'll try to dig up the link to the gizmo that lets you blow out the lines with water in the skimmer and post it in case you're interested in this approach -- assuming you don't have waterline tile or anything that could be damaged by ice.

Blowout Skimmer Guard - Winter Pool Closing Accessories for In-Ground Pools

Amazon.com : Anderson WDP150 Winter Duck Plug : Swimming Pool Winterizing Chemicals : Patio, Lawn Garden
    In ground extended Grecian, 22,000 gal, Hayward 220t sand filter, vinyl liner, dolphin m4 supreme.
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!
    Helpful Links:
    GET A TEST KIT Chlorine/CYA Chart How to SLAM About Metals & Stains