Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Automation: Need help with Intellitouch system planning

1. Back To Top    #1

Question Automation: Need help with Intellitouch system planning

Does anyone know of a planning tool (even a spreadsheet template) that would help me plan out which modules I need for my new Intellitouch system? I need to separately control more than 4 stations (filter pump, sweep, spa, heater, lighting (inside pool and on landscape), water features (2), and irrigation), so that means I need Intellitouch instead of Easytouch.

But now, I'm trying to figure out which modules I need so I can make sure to get all the parts.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Automation: Need help with Intellitouch system planning

I don't know of a tool, but listing out all the things you want to automate is a good way of figuring out what you need. Don't for get to include at least a couple of spares for future.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Looks like the Intellitouch IX10 version is the only one that supports 10 relays. If you could get by with 8 relays, the the Easy Touch 8 might be cost effective.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
    I don't know of a tool, but listing out all the things you want to automate is a good way of figuring out what you need. Don't for get to include at least a couple of spares for future.
    +1 on that. Once you get hooked on automation you will think up many additional uses.
    38000 Gal, IG, Plaster, 20' x 40' x 10', Attached Raised Spa, Intelliflo VS 3 HP (011018), Pentair Quad DE 60 Filter, Raypak (Rheem) 400,000 BTU (407a low Nox), Easy Touch 8 upgrade, Screenlogic 2 with wireless, IS-4 Spa Side Remote, Stenner 45MPHP10 w/15 gal tank, Intellibrite 5g (3), Dolphin Triton Plus robot with PRO remote, Water Tech Catfish handheld vacuum for spa, TF100 with SpeedStir.

4. Back To Top    #4

To follow up on this, I decided to go with Easytouch 8. It's installed and everything is working fine after several weeks of "tweaking" the settings for the spa spill wall, the amount of time to run filter only, spillwall only, and all the lighting. But I think I've got it all dialed in.

Advice to others: Make sure you learn it all yourself unless you plan to completely hire the pool service, chemicals and equipment service people. Don't rely on the installers to just set it up and then leave it. Every pool has unique characteristics (plumbing nuances like how many 90-degree angles you have, how many jets in the spa, how many returns in the pool, whether you have solar or not, filter sizes, and pumps).

It's my experience that you must just learn every day what works best for your particular system. But if you're like me, that's the FUN in owning a pool... <grin>
    Doug Sleeter - Pleasanton, CA
    Remodeled in Dec 2015: 25,000 gallon Pebblec pool, 18" raised spa with 6 jets and 32" wide spill wall into the pool.
    Equipment: Pentair Intelliflow VS pump, Easytouch 8, Pentair Clean & Clear Plus 320 filter, Pentair Mastertemp 250 heater, Solar heating

5. Back To Top    #5

Doug,

Now that you did all the hard work, you can install the Pentair Screen Logic2 Option, and find out how easy it can really be... and all from your computer. No more standing at the panel clicking buttons until your fingers fall off..

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Calder Spa.

6. Back To Top    #6

Jimrahbe,

For sure! I love the screenlogic, and the iOS app to control most of the functions. I almost never use the panel at the pool to control the equipment because Screenlogic is so much easier.

Even still, I have a list of suggestions for the Screenlogic developers, and for the mobile app. Will be posting those soon so maybe we can start a thread on what we want them to do in future versions.
    Doug Sleeter - Pleasanton, CA
    Remodeled in Dec 2015: 25,000 gallon Pebblec pool, 18" raised spa with 6 jets and 32" wide spill wall into the pool.
    Equipment: Pentair Intelliflow VS pump, Easytouch 8, Pentair Clean & Clear Plus 320 filter, Pentair Mastertemp 250 heater, Solar heating

7. Back To Top    #7

Doug,

I give Pentair manuals a 2 on a scale of 1 to 10, I give Screen Logic an 8 on the same scale. Much better, but room for improvement. I find the phone app pretty much useless, but the PC part works for me, even if they never change it.

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Calder Spa.

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Jimrahbe View Post
    Doug,

I give Pentair manuals a 2 on a scale of 1 to 10, I give Screen Logic an 8 on the same scale. Much better, but room for improvement. I find the phone app pretty much useless, but the PC part works for me, even if they never change it.

Jim R.
    The phone app does about what I'd expect... turn stuff on an off. The PC version is much better. So far i'm pretty happy how easy my screenlogic setup is to use.
    Gunite Pool/Spa, CLI Caribbean blue crystal stone smooth, Pentair 3hp Intellifo VS, Pentair Quad DE Filter, Pentair 400k BTU Heater, KK Prowler 820, Pentair PSL4 controler with Screenlogic wifi, Inline Chlorinator, Pentair 1.5hp Spa Blower, TF-100 Test Kit w/ Speed Stir. My 2016 Pool Build