New Pebble / Startup -> Closing in ~30 days

chinatti

LifeTime Supporter
May 7, 2014
Massachusetts
Hi-

We've just (mostly) completed a renovation on our pool, and I'm about a week into the "new plaster startup" process. We will be closing the pool roughly a month after we filled it. I've been following my PB's instructions, which were basically the same as the NPC Startup Card, and I started with easing up the TA to 80, then dropped the pH to ~7.5, then brought the calcium up to ~200, and CYA up to ~50. Now as per their instructions, I'm kind of in maintenance mode for the next few weeks, and targeting: FC=3, TA=80, pH=7.2-7.5, CYA=30-50, CH<=200. After 28 days they have other recommended ranges, but I'm going to go with the TFP guidelines, which will probably be roughly:

TFP targets: FC=5-6, pH=7.2-7.5, CYA=70-80, CH=350-450, TA=60-80

At the moment my latest test was:
FC=4.5, pH=7.2, TA=90, CH=225, CYA=40

Water has been looking good since the fill (other than a little initial cloudiness on the first day that quickly cleared up).

A few questions:

1) PB instructions say to maintain those "FC=3, TA=80-120, pH=7.2-7.5, CYA=30-50, CH<=200" for 28 days. I'm inclined to start moving towards the TFP targets sooner than that, maybe after another week or so (which would be 14 days). Any reason not to do that? CH is the one that will need the largest adjustment, and it seems better to me to try to slowly move up to the target as opposed to trying to bump the CH up ~200ppm quickly before we close.

2) I'm curious what I should target for levels at closing. Any particular levels that I should pay particular attention to, or just keep them at the TFP recommended levels?

3) PB says salt shouldn't be added for 28 days, and since this is very close to when we close, he suggested that we just wait and add salt after we open. Sounds reasonable to me - any reasons to add before we close?

4) We're using our PB to close the pool this year instead of the old company which we were never too impressed with. At closing the old company added Chlorine, algaecide, and scale/iron to the pool. Is there anything I should make sure that they do or do not add when they close this year with the new plaster?

Thanks in advance.....

I'm familiar with that page, and the pool company handles most of the details of the closing itself. I'm mainly curious as to whether there is anything I should do chemically before / during the closing in light of the fact that I have relatively new plaster / pebble in the pool...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.