Hayward 1HP Super Pump - Still humming with new capacitor

Digz

May 5, 2015
Waterdown, Ontario
I have a 3 year old Hayward Super Pump that is not starting. When powered on, it just hums. It spins freely and I can kick-start it by spinning the impeller end manually and it runs fine then.

Based on advice from other threads, I replaced the capacitor today with an identical match, and I am still getting the same symptoms. I need the pump to work in the next few days so I can winterize the pool.

Any advice on what else to check? I am fairly certain I hooked up the leads to the capacitor correctly.

Thanks!

Take off the cover of the motor, I don't know what they are called but they look like large automotive distributor points on the very
center of the motor behind the inspection cover.

Are those all burned up or look good with clean contacts.

Thanks for the tip though... I realized that when I had taken the pump apart originally I just put that piece back in tight enough to not lose the screws. I tightened it back up and it makes contact and starts beautifully.

Greatly appreciate the quick reply and the advice I get on here.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.