Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pool Heating Solution for Florida ?

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool Heating Solution for Florida ?

Hi Guys,

As winter approaches I am looking at heating solutions for our small 8,000 gallon pool.

We get Tampa Bay, FL sunshine from 11:30AM(ish) on through the day.

Any cost effective solutions ?

Thank you!

(We also have a heated community pool across the street we can use so we have that option as well)
    8,000 gallon, IG (in ground), Gunite, Pleated Cartridge (Brand ?), Pentair 1 HP (Single Speed), Built in 2006, No SWG (yet), Location: Tampa Bay, FL

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Pool Heating Solution for Florida ?

First thing I would do is get a good solar cover. You're going to want it either way, and you might find that it does a good enough job all on it's own.

We will need the dimentions of your pool to be really helpful in this case, because surface area is important.
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Well unless you have natural gas at your house you would need to consider a propane heater with a propane tank or a heat pump which is like your AC unit. You also need to decide if you want to keep the pool heated all winter or are you just plan on heating for special occasions and maybe a weekend or so. A gas/propane heater will heat your pool no matter what. A heat pump is less efficient in heating when outside temps are 60 or less.
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by pabeader View Post
    First thing I would do is get a good solar cover. You're going to want it either way, and you might find that it does a good enough job all on it's own.

We will need the dimentions of your pool to be really helpful in this case, because surface area is important.
    20' x 9' (estimate) - no poles or anything impeding in the pool area

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ps0303 View Post
    Well unless you have natural gas at your house you would need to consider a propane heater with a propane tank or a heat pump which is like your AC unit. You also need to decide if you want to keep the pool heated all winter or are you just plan on heating for special occasions and maybe a weekend or so. A gas/propane heater will heat your pool no matter what. A heat pump is less efficient in heating when outside temps are 60 or less.
    Yes, we have natural gas.
    8,000 gallon, IG (in ground), Gunite, Pleated Cartridge (Brand ?), Pentair 1 HP (Single Speed), Built in 2006, No SWG (yet), Location: Tampa Bay, FL

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

very close to my pool! (9X21) must be much deeper though. I'm going to get a 12X24 solar cover and trim it to fit.
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by pabeader View Post
    very close to my pool! (9X21) must be much deeper though. I'm going to get a 12X24 solar cover and trim it to fit.
    What brand do you guys recommend ? Can you include a link to a product to consider ?

Thank you.

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by jumbojet8 View Post

Yes, we have natural gas.

Get a gas heater then. Natural gas is cheap these days and you can heat the pool rather nicely with it. A 400K unit is what you need.
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,

8. Back To Top    #8

Get a gas heater then. Natural gas is cheap these days and you can heat the pool rather nicely with it. A 400K unit is what you need.
    What brand or model do you recommend ? Do you have a link to the product ?

Thanks!

9. Back To Top    #9

TFP Guide

Excuse my question, but why such a big unit? I was thinking more like 200K max. Maybe even 150k. For my pool...

10. Back To Top    #10

Bigger the heater, the faster it heats. Depends on how fast you want to heat it and what your supply will handle.

And Raypak are highly recommended by members.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

11. Back To Top    #11

In the Industry

What jbizzle said. I wouldn't go any smaller than a 266K BTU heater, Raypak.
    Paul

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    Bigger the heater, the faster it heats. Depends on how fast you want to heat it and what your supply will handle.

And Raypak are highly recommended by members.
    Thanks, what is the cost of a 400K Raypak?

13. Back To Top    #13

Before you pull the trigger, you may need to get a plumber's input on how you will supply the NG. Typically you want pool heaters to be on a completely separate run of gas line with a large enough line diameter to feed the heater. If you simply stub the heater off an existing line, the line may not be sufficient to handle the load and you could starve other gas devices on the line, eg, knock out the pilot on a gas water heater.

An additional 400kBTU will probably also require a larger capacity gas meter at the street service connection.

Just some thoughts as I have a 400kBTU/hr Pentair and it needed its own gas line.

Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

14. Back To Top    #14

In the Industry

I sent you a PM with some info on a guy in your area that can help you out.
    Paul

15. Back To Top    #15

I sent you a PM with some info on a guy in your area that can help you out.
    Thanks bud.

- - - Updated - - -

To summarize my understanding, the proper steps to take for a pool heater are:

1. Buy a solar cover and see how that affects water temp. (and will want in anyway to protect pool?)

2. Consider the investment/cost of installing a 400k Raypak pool heater (using natural gas).

Am I understanding correctly?

16. Back To Top    #16

TFP Guide

Solar cover - Not so much for pool protection as for heat retention. A lot of heat loss is to evaporation, and the cover helps retard that. They are also said to help heat the water to some extent.

17. Back To Top    #17

Solar Cover for sure. I went Heat Pump in Texas. Still at 86 and only takes 3-4 hrs to heat up from night time cool down (which is only 2-3 degrees with cover on). Also having pool at 86 makes it much easier to roll up cover (I have kidney shaped pool with 3 cover sections). I also switched from Propane to Heat pump for heating my house and my bills are lower all year long.
    IG pebble, 15,000 gallon
    48 PentAir DE Filter with backwash valve
    PentAir Whisperflo pump with 1hp 2-speed motor
    Aquabot 4WD, Poolskim
    Intermatic Dual Timeclock with freezeguard
    DIY chlorine feed
    BBB

18. Back To Top    #18

Quote Originally Posted by tcat View Post
    Solar Cover for sure. I went Heat Pump in Texas. Still at 86 and only takes 3-4 hrs to heat up from night time cool down (which is only 2-3 degrees with cover on). Also having pool at 86 makes it much easier to roll up cover (I have kidney shaped pool with 3 cover sections). I also switched from Propane to Heat pump for heating my house and my bills are lower all year long.
    Thanks guys!

Can you point me to the best brand of Solar Cover to consider for our 20' x 9' pool?

19. Back To Top    #19

None seem to last more than a few years, so get the cheapest you can find.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

20. Back To Top    #20

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    None seem to last more than a few years, so get the cheapest you can find.
    Thanks, do you have a link to the best way to compare the models available in the marketplace?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast