Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pentair single speed 1 HP pump ?

1. Back To Top    #1

Pentair single speed 1 HP pump ?

Hi Guys,

I understand that their can be some cost savings with a Variable Speed pump.

Is it worth making the investment in a new Variable Speed pump - if so, what brand and model makes best sense ?

Thank you!
    8,000 gallon, IG (in ground), Gunite, Pleated Cartridge (Brand ?), Pentair 1 HP (Single Speed), Built in 2006, No SWG (yet), Location: Tampa Bay, FL

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Pentair single speed 1 HP pump ?

It really depends on your electric cost. But in the end I think most would say, yes. Some folks get a quicker return on the investment if their electric is high. Mine is only .10 per kilo so it would take quite a while to pay for itself. Somebody paying .40 per kilo would get there 4 times faster.
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by pabeader View Post
    It really depends on your electric cost. But in the end I think most would say, yes. Some folks get a quicker return on the investment if their electric is high. Mine is only .10 per kilo so it would take quite a while to pay for itself. Somebody paying .40 per kilo would get there 4 times faster.
    Thanks pal! What make and model(s) are most recommended ?
    8,000 gallon, IG (in ground), Gunite, Pleated Cartridge (Brand ?), Pentair 1 HP (Single Speed), Built in 2006, No SWG (yet), Location: Tampa Bay, FL

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

Quickest return on your money at most any electrical rate is a 2 speed usually pays for its self in a year or two. VS usually take several years but the pool geek factor on a VS pump is priceless. Check your local power provider, many offer some sort of rebate to upgrade may make the decision easier to see what qualifies for a rebate should they have one.

5. Back To Top    #5

Another option would be to just replace your current motor with two speed motor. It is cheaper, requires no plumbing changes and will likely have a lower lifetime cost than a VS pump given your energy costs.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

6. Back To Top    #6

What size is your plumbing? 1.5" or 2"? Any water features?
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by JVTrain View Post
    What size is your plumbing? 1.5" or 2"? Any water features?
    It looks like 2'' but not for sure certain.

No water features.

- - - Updated - - -

What is the expected lifetime of a 2-speed pump, versus a multiple-speed pump, versus a single-speed pump ?

8. Back To Top    #8

I have not seen any significant evidence to suggest the lifetime is longer or short for any type of pump motor.

Probably one of the most common failures of motors is that the pool owner fails to detect when the shaft seal has failed which then rusts the motor bearings. Not really a failure of the motor though.

Another common failure with standard motors (1 & 2 speeds) is a failed capacitor. But those are really easy to replace and fairly cheap.

As for VS motors, besides bearing failure, the drive can fail and are very susceptible to power surges so if you go this route, make sure you install surge protection for the drive. On this forum, a failed drive is almost always due to lack of surge protection. I don't think I have seen a failed drive with surge protection. At least not yet.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by mas985 View Post
    Another option would be to just replace your current motor with two speed motor. It is cheaper, requires no plumbing changes and will likely have a lower lifetime cost than a VS pump given your energy costs.
    What is the cost of a two speed motor versus a single speed motor (1 HP) ?

What brand do you recommend ? Have a link to product ?

10. Back To Top    #10

What is your current pump model#? How old is the pump?
    Mark

11. Back To Top    #11

What is your current pump model#? How old is the pump?
    It's a Pentair Superflo High Performance Pump (1 HP single speed)

It was installed with the pool in 2006.

12. Back To Top    #12

A.O. Smith: B2980 (230v) or a B2981 (115v) depending on the current voltage wiring. They also have versions come with timers (B2980T/B2981T) if you want that.

Just google the motor numbers to find places to buy them.
    Mark

13. Back To Top    #13

you mentioned surge protection...I wonder if having a GFCI breaker would serve as adequate protection for a vs motor if thats what the poster has.
    16x32 IG Vinyl, 13,000 Gals. Hayward S-244T sand filter, SP2810X15 pump
    (1.5 HP motor) Raypak PR266AEN (266k btu) gas heater. TF-100 Test Kit.
    Dolphin E10 Cleaning Robot.

14. Back To Top    #14

TFP Guide

Unfortunately, GFCI and surge protection are twp different beasts. GFCI detects a differential in current entering and leaving a circuit. Surge protection, blocks voltage spikes.
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

15. Back To Top    #15

good to know. I'm considering a vs and had not remembered the surge protection addition.
    16x32 IG Vinyl, 13,000 Gals. Hayward S-244T sand filter, SP2810X15 pump
    (1.5 HP motor) Raypak PR266AEN (266k btu) gas heater. TF-100 Test Kit.
    Dolphin E10 Cleaning Robot.

16. Back To Top    #16

A.O. Smith: B2980 (230v) or a B2981 (115v) depending on the current voltage wiring. They also have versions come with timers (B2980T/B2981T) if you want that.

This is likely the exact replacement motor I'll be going for when I replace my dry end, maybe next spring. This B2980 I believe is a 3/4 HP, I may go with a B2982 @ 1 HP. Not sure yet.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir

17. Back To Top    #17

Superflo is an up rated pump so the 3/4 HP full rated motor is large enough for a 1 HP Superflo pump.
    Mark

18. Back To Top    #18

Superflo is an up rated pump so the 3/4 HP full rated motor is large enough for a 1 HP Superflo pump.
    Good to know. Looking for some savings on the electric bill and that's even better when comparing the B2980 versus the B2982.

19. Back To Top    #19

Energy use will be about the same between an over sized motor or a "right" sized motor. It is mostly the impeller that determines energy use (motor efficiency too). Motor label ratings are for full load but an impeller is much less than full load on an over sized motor.
    Mark

20. Back To Top    #20

Thanks guys.

Where is the best place to buy these motors?

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you.

Will I need to add surge protection when installing the new motor?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast