Just discovered these cracks

eemueller

LifeTime Supporter
May 31, 2013
SE Michigan
I am having the waterline tile in my pool replaced, and after draining the pool, I discovered these cracks. They slowly weep, and what I assume to be calcium deposits are forming below them as the water evaporates. How serious an issue is this? I have not noticed any abnormal water loss. I'll try to post a couple of pics. Thanks.

Attachments

• iPhone 10-7-15 002.jpg
    iPhone 10-7-15 002.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 216
  • iPhone 10-7-15 003.jpg
    iPhone 10-7-15 003.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 214
  • iPhone 10-7-15 001.jpg
    iPhone 10-7-15 001.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 213
Yes. There is also a ledge for sitting that runs along two of the four sides of the pool, and there two cracks (seperate locations) on the the edge of the ledge.

Attachments

• iPhone 10-7-15 005.jpg
    iPhone 10-7-15 005.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 194
  • iPhone 10-7-15 007.jpg
    iPhone 10-7-15 007.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 197
The cracks do not appear to be major structural cracks, which is good. They seem to be stress cracks mostly. The white calcium scale is a symptom of the plaster cracking and is not critical.
However, the one horizontal crack is fairly significant (but not structural), and may indicate a loss of bonding to the underneath substrate.
If the pool or plaster coat is beyond the warranty period, I would simply fill in all of the cracks with epoxy cement to seal and keep water from leaking out when full.
Hopefully, the cracks won't become worse over time.

Thanks for the advise. I'm not sure I understand when you say that there may be a loss of bonding to the substrate. The pool is 10 years old, and the Pebble Tec finish has a 15 year warranty, so I'm OK there. Since you feel that this isn't not a structural issue, would you then consider it a "finish" issue?

If those minor cracks are due to stress, which means the pool shell is flexing, then that is not a plaster finishing issue.

One thing that you can do, is to tap the plaster with the (hard plastic) handle side of a screw driver and listen for a "hollow" sound, and compare with the plaster surface further away from the cracked areas.
If it does sound hollow, then that would indicate that the plaster coat (half inch) is not bonded to the underneath shell and may need fixing. Contact the PB if you believe there is a problem.

I would agree with the above. The one picture with the horizontal crack is very concerning. The depth of that crack on the sidewall is related to the depth of the plaster meaning it's no longer bonded to the substrate in that area. If it was just stress the odds of it being where it is and running straight like it is are one in a million. I'd start the process regarding the warranty if I were you!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.