Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: To close or not to close

1. Back To Top    #1

To close or not to close

I apologize if this has been covered elsewhere but I just need a quick bit of advise. My pool in SW Michigan has been dormant for some time now, well below 60 degrees on average and I was going to close it today. But, the high for today is expected to reach 70 and tomorrow is expected to approach 73. Will this be a problem for me, assuming I go through all of the necessary closing procedures? Thanks in advance.
    18'x4' AG Intex Ultra Frame, 6,700 gal., assembled new 2013; Mods: Hayward EC50C90 Perflex filter & 1 h.p. PowerFlo Matrix pump, Fiber Clear cellulose D.E. substitute, Hayward H100ID1 100,000 BTU NG heater, a pair of 2'x20' Sungrabber solar heaters via the original Intex 635T pump, grey Hydro Tools through-the-wall skimmer, Confer steps/ladder system & Cover Free chemical pool cover. The Summer of Mods!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: To close or not to close

You are looking for water temperatures < 60 degrees consistently. Not ambient air temperatures. good luck with your closing!
    27' Above Ground, 18K gallons, 1.5 hp pump, Cartridge Filter, TF-100 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Yeah, when I said "well below 60 degrees" I meant water temps. It's at 55 degrees right now. Any chance two days in the 70s will lift that above 60 degrees?
    18'x4' AG Intex Ultra Frame, 6,700 gal., assembled new 2013; Mods: Hayward EC50C90 Perflex filter & 1 h.p. PowerFlo Matrix pump, Fiber Clear cellulose D.E. substitute, Hayward H100ID1 100,000 BTU NG heater, a pair of 2'x20' Sungrabber solar heaters via the original Intex 635T pump, grey Hydro Tools through-the-wall skimmer, Confer steps/ladder system & Cover Free chemical pool cover. The Summer of Mods!

4. Back To Top    #4

I'm no meteorologist (although I think I can do as good as ours sometimes. Since your pool is not all that big, the water temp could fluctuate rather quickly. The common theme here is the longer you can wait to close (and the sooner you open in the spring), the better. Best to play it safe and ensure that water temp stays low.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!