Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Using Chlorine generator with Bromine

1. Back To Top    #1

Using Chlorine generator with Bromine

Is it possible to use a Chlorine generator and saltwater as the oxider to activate the sodium bromide? I am using the 3 step process now with the bromide tablets and MPS for weekly shock. Could I use saltwater and the Chlorine generator instead of the bromide tablets?

Thanks!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Using Chlorine generator with Bromine

Welcome to TFP!

Yes that is possible, and it is also possible to add enough sodium bromide, instead of sodium chloride, to have the generator generate bromine directly. Note that not all spas use high quality components that can handle higher salt levels well.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by chem geek View Post
    Welcome to TFP!

Yes that is possible, and it is also possible to add enough sodium bromide, instead of sodium chloride, to have the generator generate bromine directly. Note that not all spas use high quality components that can handle higher salt levels well.
    I'm sorry to respond so late. Was expecting email subscription remainders. Anyway - would the level of sodium bromide have to be the same as sodium chloride, 2500-3000 ppm? And no way to test the sodium bromide level? Hmmm.... interesting thought, although I am finding it not too hard, nor expensive to keep the bromide tablets going.

4. Back To Top    #4

You should check with your generator manufacturer to make sure their system is compatible with generating bromine, primarily in terms of its lifespan. As for the bromide salt level, the Genesis system uses around 1500-1900 ppm sodium bromide.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"