boson415

Jul 22, 2015
el sabrante ca.
Thought I say hello and intro my self, I'm Brian and I just bought a house with an in ground 25000 gallon pool, and a in ground spa. I've been lurking on here learning as much as I can in the little time that I've acquired This pool and learned alot. I'm currently battling with green alge coupled with a very high cya level 200! Thing is, "I'M IN CALIFORNIA" one word, "drought" uh few words, "water restrictions and big fines" No partial drains! Anyway. .... I'm here I'm learning and thanks to everyone contributing To this site.

Hi Brian. Welcome to TFP! No worries, we have lots of CA folks here in your same position. Your CYA of 200 (if that's an accurate number) will make pool management very difficult. How idd you come-up with a CYA of 200? Did you use a diluted testing method such as this:

CYA Dilution Testing:
Add pool water to bottom of sticker.
Add tap water to top of sticker.
Shake.
Pour out half so mixture is to bottom of sticker.
Add reagent to top of sticker.
Shake.
Test outside with back to sun and tube at waist level.
Pour back and forth a few times to see if you get the same result.
Double the result.

As for the green, that sounds like algae and will require you to do a "SLAM" via Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain, so follow the instructions on that page "to the letter" and you will be fine. But first ... that CYA. That is priority #1.If you have any questions, please let us know. Nice to have you with us.

Texas - I'm confused. I believe you misread the CYA as CH. The OP is going to have to SLAM but it's going to take a lot of bleach/liquid chlorine to accomplish it.

boson - You might want to call around and see if yo can get your pool water ROed. There are a number of places around CA that do this for pool owners. They bring a truck out and cycle your water through a filter and then return it to your pool. It isn't cheap, but the price is coming down.
How did you do the CYA measurement to get 200??

Please post a full set of measurements so we know what we're working with.

Uhg. Thanks Bob! :brickwall: I had a semi-senior moment. :) boson415, excuse my lapse in details as I apparently had (scale) tunnel vision at that moment this morning. We're straight now. I modified my original post so it's not confusing. As Bob (pabeader) noted, doing any type of pool management (to include a SLAM) with a CYA suspected of being that high will be next to impossible. Hopefully you can find a new source of water exchange soon.

What it turns into is a math game. Which is cheaper. The cost of bleach/chlorine needed to clear the algae, the cost of RO treatment, or the fine for doing the drain and fill.

There is one other option that has been used by other CA folks. Use the pool water on the landscape and the landscape water in the pool. Will take longer that way but keeps you water neutral. If you do it in that order, water trees and flowers, then fill pool, it will have the greatest effect on CYA level.

TEST results using the Taylor k-2006

Fc 0
Ph 8.0
Ta 110
CH 210
CYA 80

I recently bought this house 3 months ago for the first few weeks there was a pool company taking care of this pool, evidently they're the same company who took care of it when the previous owners were here. I come to find out they've been using these clorox tablets in a floater to maintain the free chlorine levels what I don't understand is if there a pool company and they know they are in California where the rain is limited why they would be using these tablets? Just in the limited time I've been researching, these tablets have stabilizer in them! so...... without the rain to balance things out why they would be doing this?! Just that alone was all I needed to fire them and start taking care of my own pool. I started out with a cya of 200 I did 3 partial drain and fills and got it down to 80. It took me 3 months each partial drain and fill each month to avoid any fines I'm in an area where we get fined for using too much water so 1 drain/fill per Month To avoid any fines and the whole time the pool has been green since I first moved in 3 months ago so..... there's my story all in a nut shell any help would be great

Thanks
Boson415

- - - Updated - - -

I'm about to start My shock I was wondering if my test results look good to start shocking I am going to be using sodium hypochlorite that I bought at Home Depot 10% strength I also bought muriatic acid pH down I realized I have to get my Ph to 7.2 I've already put one gallon of the muriatic acid in a few days ago and my PH still reads 8.0 there must be something I am missing here? I poured the muriatic acid* in in the deep end right next to a return jet and swished it around with my pool brush. Both these products I bought at Home Depot are kemtek brand.

- - - Updated - - -

I started another thread in the just getting started section the above post is from that thread

Moderator note - Use this threadmfor welcome messages. Please use the new thread for the pool treatment/SLAM recommendations . High cya levels in California drought area

Brian, based on your latest K-2006 test results, the only ting you need to do before starting the SLAM and raising your FC to 31 is lower the pH to 7.2. We ask that because the higher FC from the bleach will raise (temporarily) your pH, and you won't be testing pH during the SLAM, so it's best to do it first. Aside from that, go for it! Make sure you follow all those notes on the SLAM page and you'll see it working. Suggestion - Take some pics before you start, preferably near any steps so you can monitor the changes. Good luck!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support