should pump be off?

Dpg24m

Oct 3, 2015
Bellflower
Hi newbie here pool guy quit on me i need to lower my TA its really high I got some dry acid at leslies pool supply should the pump be off when adding the dry acid into the pool? The dry acid bags directions say to leave the circulation on but I Have been reading online and people say to leave the pump off which one is it thanks for the help.

No, always have the pump running when adding chemicals to the pool. You want the dry acid to mix into the pool quickly and not settle on the bottom where it can damage the pool surface.

Hello newbie, and welcome to TFP! :wave: We'll help. First, whenever you need to lower TA, you can do so with muriatic acid. You can use dry acid, but of course you have to mix it, and it's just a bit of a pain. It may also cost you a l ittle more, especially at Leslie's. You can get muriatic acid at many local hardware stores (or Lesiles too). To lower TA, the acid lowers TA AND pH, so the trick is to watch the pH at the same time. If the pH gets too low while you are lowering TA, use aeration to naturally raise the pH as noted here Pool School - Lower Total Alkalinity. Oh, and yes, whenever adding chemicals, the pump should be running for at least 30 minutes to adequately mix everything. FYI - Here is a list of TFP chemicals: Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals.

Now that your pool guy has left, do you have the right test kit? You MUST have one, and the pool store tests don't cut it. Please see the TF-100 link below I my sig to ensure you have total control of your water with accurate results. It should be priority #1.

Also, please add your pool info to your signature by going to the top of the TFP web page (just under the Pool School button) and select "SETTINGS". On the next page look to the left for a menu bar that says, “MY SETTINGS” and go to "EDIT SIGNATURE" to enter your pool and equipment info there. It will help us later. Nice to have you with us!

Hi newbie here pool guy quit on me i need to lower my TA its really high I got some dry acid at leslies pool supply should the pump be off when adding the dry acid into the pool? The dry acid bags directions say to leave the circulation on but I Have been reading online and people say to leave the pump off which one is it thanks for the help.
Hello and welcome to TFP.

What is your TA level, and how are you testing.

As mentioned, lowering TA will also lower pH.

Are you having pH issues? Why the urgency to lower TA?

Dom

why do you need to lower your TA? are you having high pH problems?

Hello and welcome to TFP.

What is your TA level, and how are you testing.

As mentioned, lowering TA will also lower pH.

Are you having pH issues? Why the urgency to lower TA?

Dom

Hey yes I'm using a 5 way kit test my ta is at 240ppm
And my ph is at 8.2 and yes I did read that lowering my TA will.lower my ph I'm keeping an eye on the ph.. since my pool guy quit my ph has been very high but when he quit on me the pool was green so I finally got it clear now just trying to keep my ph balance and ta where it should be at my chlorine level is good .

Definitely bring that pH back down with muriatic acid quickly. Anything over 8.0 is getting dicey. Use the poolmath calculator (link below) to go for about 7.4, then confirm pH and TA levels. If pH is at 7,4 and TA is still over 200, then use the acid/aeration method in my post #3 above to help bring the TA down. It will take time, but it works. Also, please add your pool/equipment info to your signature at your next opportunity.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.