Austin, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
Starting new thread as "Not Maintaining Cl" was solved by replacing display board in my Goldline Controls SWG unit. Now trying to balance chems. Background: Rec'd TFP-100 Test Kit 10/1. Replaced Display board 10/3, set it to 75%. Previously had been using liquid Cl to maintain Cl levels. I have been adding acid nearly every day since 10/1, min 32 oz, max 42 oz. Pump running 14 hours/day.

Date FC CC pH CH TA CYA CSI
10/1 3.5 .5 7.3 850 120 50 ok per pool math
10/3 4.5 .5 7.5 n/a--- Test at 1:45PM
10/4 5.5 .5 7.5 575 130 50 ok -- Added 2 cups of granular stabilizer. Test results at 11:30AM and prior to adding stabilizer.
10/6 11.0 0 7.5 600 130 70 .18 -- This morning at 7:30AM dialed SWG % back to 63% b/c I knew I was 5+ on daily test.

Questions
1) TA not moving down with daily acid addition and aerating via bubbles in attached spa. How low should I try to get my pH? to start seeing movement?
2) CYA was a light 70, and I am thinking about adding another cup of granules (via sock in skimmer). Whaddya think?
3) Now that it has been running a couple days, do you think the new Display board could be responsible for the Cl spike?

Looking forward to hearing y'all think I need to do next. My plan is to continue to work on TA and dial back the display board until I see Cl levels match up with XCl/CYA chart. Also, as mentioned above, thinking about bumping CYA a bit closer to 80. Thanks!

Hi txreap

Congrats on receiving your TF-100 testkit. Most probably the BEST investment you have ever made for your pool (wallet and sanity too).

It takes granular CYA about a week to fully register on the test. You may want to wait a week and see what your reading is before bumping it up any.

As for the PH rising quickly and the TA being high. The SWG (do to aeration) and the spa bubbles will raise the PH more quickly. You can lower the TA by dosing the PH to 7.2 to 7/4 and letting is rise to 7.8 - then lower it again. It's a relatively slow process, even with aeration.

I'm sure you will have to tweak the run time (14 hours seems a bit too long) and SWG % to get it to the correct place. How does your water look?

If you could, next time you post test results use the following format as it's easier for all to read.

Date
FC -
CC -
PH -
CH -
TA -
CYA -
CSI -

If you wish to list multiple dates, still try to use that format.

Thanks!

Yeah, TA can be a challenge in patience. Just follow the acid/aeration technique here Pool School - Lower Total Alkalinity and it will work. You can even take the pH down to 7.0 then aerate back higher if that will help. The good thing is your CSI still looks good, even with the higher TA. As for your CYA, give it a couple more days to register and test again. As long as you're at 70 you should be fine as we start cooling-off in our area, but no lower than 70. Have a nice day.

I'm sure you will have to tweak the run time (14 hours seems a bit too long) and SWG % to get it to the correct place. How does your water look?

The water is crystal clear. Peformed OCLT this morning.

FC 11.0
CC 0.5

I started out the summer with a TA of 170. Initially, when I tried lowering it through acid and aeration, I was lowering to 7.4 and the TA didn't move much. At the advice of some here, I then started lowering to 7.2 and I did finally see some movement - still slow though - perhaps at a rate of 10ppm per week.

I got it down to 100 and my ph has been quite stable at that alkalinity so I haven't been too concerned with trying to lower it any more.

The water is crystal clear. Peformed OCLT this morning.

FC 11.0
CC 0.5

What type of pump do you have - single speed, 2 speed or variable speed? Knowing this can help you decide how to balance your run time and adjust your SWG for the best efficiency and cost effectiveness while maintaining adequate filtering and FC.

If the water is crystal clear, free of debris and you are satisfied with how it looks - you may wish to consider cutting back on run time first. If/when you find a happy medium for pump run time, then tweak the SWG percentage. It's probably not a good idea to adjust run time and SWG % at the same time - it can be a delicate balance at times.

Hello TFP. Waited a few days to see how CYA would change. Adjusted my single speed pump to 9 hour run time on 10/8. My CYA reading is 65 based on adding liquid mix until the I cannot see ANY indication of the black dot at the bottom of the cylinder. Full numbers:

10/10
Date
FC - 7.0
CC - 1.0
PH - 7.2
CH - 575
TA - 110
CYA - 65
CSI - -.17

With a CYA of 65 (round up t0 70), you'll want that FC at the target of 8. The fact that your CC (trash chlorine) is slightly elevated could indicate some excess organics in the water. You might be best served to run an OCLT tonight to see if you are losing any FC to algae.

When performing the OLCT, remember that it must be done when the sun has dropped – no sunlight on the pool. About 8 hours total is recommended. If you use a SWG or automatic chlorinator, make sure they are turned-off or set to zero. Also, your FC level should be elevated more than normal. Starting (bedtime) FC could be close to your SLAM level, but no lower than 10. Anything less and you may not receive an accurate portrayal of FC loss (by percentage), even if it’s only 1 ppm.

With a CYA of 65 (round up t0 70), you'll want that FC at the target of 8. The fact that your CC (trash chlorine) is slightly elevated could indicate some excess organics in the water. You might be best served to run an OCLT tonight to see if you are losing any FC to algae.

Any chance the CC is up due to the increasing amount of leaves falling in the pool as part of Fall Season? Performed OCLT on 10/7 with CC = .5.

Enough debris in the water will add to the CC's. Other than that your numbers are fine. Clean the pool the best you can and keep a close eye on the FC and CC for the next few days.

When you ran the OCLT was the SWG off?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
This thread is a good example of.....

1. CC's is not always stationary and certainly, not always zero. CC's does not indicate you HAVE algae but is a good indicator that you MIGHT.

2. CC test result of 1.0 is not a reason to panic but a reason pay close attention with the goal that CC gets back down to .5 ppm or less. Often, a dose of bleach to temporarily elevate FC to about twice normal levels is all that is required to get CC back down or, in this case, simply monitor it and see what happens......it may go down on it's own.

As CCs are indicating things are under control on the Cl part of the equation, that puts me back to trying to get TA in the recommended range for SWG systems. At this point, can I leave CYA as is and focus on pH adjustments to reduce the TA?

Yes, you appear to have a good handle on the chlorine portion now. :goodjob: In the future, you are well-armed to monitor and adjust FC accordingly. As for your CYA, you showed 65 (rounded up to 70) which is the minimum recommended for a SWG. I would watch that closely to ensure it doesn't appear lower after future tests. Always keep the CYA at least 70 to help take stress off of SWG (FC) production. As for your TA, you are slightly above the recommended levels chart. You can begin to lower TA with the acid and aeration for pH method, which was one of the reasons you started this thread. As always, watch your pH closely as that is really one of the primary reasons we adjust TA - to keep the pH steady. Have a nice day.

Thanks to all for your help! I joined this group back in '09, but somehow forgot about it. Thank goodness I rediscovered it!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.