Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How well does the ladder need cleaned?

1. Back To Top    #1

How well does the ladder need cleaned?

I took the ladder out in preparation for closing. The bottom of the rungs were pretty well coated with algae. This is probably partially due to the ladder not being cleaned before putting it in for the season- I didn't know any better at the time. I sprayed it with bleach and hosed it off, but there is still a texture to it that scrapes off with my fingernail- I can't tell if it's the fiberglass degrading or dead algae that built up over the years (does this even happen?). Anyways, the rungs are molded with many X patterns, which would be very difficult to clean. Will spraying with bleach and hosing off be sufficient, along with storing in a dry place for the winter, or does it really need scrubbed?
    20000 gallon vinyl liner in ground pool
    16' X 34' rectangular diving pool
    Hayward Pro Grid DE Filter
    Hayward 1 hp Super Pump
    TF-100 Test Kit Stenner 45MPHP10

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How well does the ladder need cleaned?

The hard stuff (texture) might just be scale. But I would definitely do everything possible to eliminate algae any scrubbing and trying to get into all those nooks & crannies. At least with your pool season coming to an end, that should help kill any algae by removing the ladder. If your ladder has hollow steps though, you might still want to see if you can get into those areas. The stagnant water will sit there for a long time.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: How well does the ladder need cleaned?

Thanks...it did look like a scale of some sort...the steps are not hollow, just molded in support ribs on the underside.
    20000 gallon vinyl liner in ground pool
    16' X 34' rectangular diving pool
    Hayward Pro Grid DE Filter
    Hayward 1 hp Super Pump
    TF-100 Test Kit Stenner 45MPHP10