Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How much/how should I drain- dimensions included

1. Back To Top    #1

South Central PA

How much/how should I drain- dimensions included

I'm getting ready to close in the next few days and I'm wondering how low I should drain below the skimmer. Here are the location of the wall features:
    Skimmer: Faceplate 1.5" below skimmer mouth
    Light: 15" from skimmer mouth to top of light
    Return #2 & Vacuum Port: top of trim ring is 7.25" below skimmer mouth; bottom of trim ring is 4.25" above pool light
    Return #1: bottom of trim ring is about even with the bottom of the skimmer trim ring.

Also, the main drain runs through the skimmer, so I have a Hayward main drain diverter 956646

What's the best chance to drain below the skimmer? Do I use a hose from the skimmer to the water and hope it maintains suction, or try to close the little cap on the diverter and hope it seals? If I don't drain below the vacuum port, could I plug the skimmer return and use the vacuum port to drain?
    20000 gallon vinyl liner in ground pool
    16' X 34' rectangular diving pool
    Hayward Pro Grid DE Filter
    Hayward 1 hp Super Pump
    TF-100 Test Kit Stenner 45MPHP10

2. Back To Top    #2

Charleston, SC

Re: How much/how should I drain- dimensions included

5900 G Fiberglass IG pool (circa 1990), SWG Hayward Aqua Rite GoldLine (2013), IntelliFlo Variable Speed Pump (2013), Hayward Pro Sand Filter (circa 1990), Well water (no iron or other metals fortunately), test with Taylor K2006C, Charleston, SC