Questions on closing pool for winter and chemicals - 1st time pool owner

Jul 30, 2015
Hurricane/Utah
Ok this is my first winter with a gunite pool. We have auto defrost on the pool and I know to change out the SWG cell for winter. On chemical use do I need to maintain the PH and Chlorine levels as I would in the summer? Is there anything else special that I need to worry about on my new pool? Do I need to do any brushing type care? Your help is appreciated.

Good morning madgreen! You probably should start by reviewing this page: Pool School - Closing an In Ground Pool. This should answer most of your questions. Once the temps get below 60, the maintenance really drops. If you don't cover your pool, you can check FC once in a while just to make sure there still is some in there. It won't disappear very fast. Depending on the weather and how frisky you feel in the elements, you can give your pool a little "TLC", but it won't be totally necessary. The biggest thing is keeping some FC in the water to reduce the chance of algae, and check to make sure no critters fell into an uncovered pool. You'll see on the closing instructions some guidance about your equipment for areas that experience freezes, so that may be your biggest concern at the moment. If you do need to remove/disconnect any items, blow-out water lines, etc, and have questions, just let us know. Have a great day.

My pool has an automated pool cover. So we will keep in covered. The auto frost protection should start the pump to run a few hours every day I think. I did read the pool information for winterizing an inground pool but I didn't see anything about the chemicals etc. That was what I was wondering about. How much chlorine do I need to keep in the pool? How about the PH levels during winter, what to keep at? We won't be swimming, just wanted to know what to keep the levels at?

thanks

Since you will appear to have some operational capability of your pool over the winter (pump auto-frost protection), your situation sounds like you won't be completely closing like many northern tier areas who disconnect their equipment and drain plumbing. That gives you some flexibility. For chemicals, you'll want to ensure your pH is in the recommended level range (7.5-7.8) before closing. Since your plaster is new, I suspect your pH climbs steadily during the week, so you may want to go slightly lower (7.3-7.4), and/or check pH every couple weeks just to ensure it's not exceptionally high over 7.8. FC usage will slow-down dramatically. Once you cover the pool and water temps stay below 60, the FC should hold quite well for a long time. If you like, on a nice day, you certainly can check the FC to ensure you still have some available. The amount of FC both at closing and what you expect to have available will depend upon your current CYA as noted on the Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart. After the closing shock FC level begins to drop, I would never let the FC drop below 4 throughout the winter. Your other levels (TA, CH, and CYA) really shouldn't change much since you will have your pool covered and I doubt you'll be adding any water. But you can always check once a month or so if you like. Hope this helps.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.