Help Green Algae Water Results Included

Hello and help - the algae started a few weeks ago and at first it was controllable. Possibly started in my solar cover that had been sitting outside for a few months before I put it on the pool end of August. Last 10 days rain in Tennessee everyday but light rain. Yes I neglected it and left the solar cover on it to catch the leaves. Today Pentair chlorine generator still working as it has been. The bottom has pretty thick algae Green.....

Running my Polaris 280 now and have swept the bottom with a brush water is stirred up and green.

I wanted to ask you here on the forum before I did anything. I have owned the pool for 10 years and have a pretty good handle on it most of the time. It is my first year with the Pentair IC40.

Every now and then your pool reminds you are not always in control.

Any advice is helpful for treatment procedures.

Free Chlorine too high to test or at least 9 Taylor 2006 test kit.
Combined Chlorine around 0
PH between 7.6 and 7.8.
Sanitizer CYA between 70 and 80.
Calcium Hardness 240
Alkalinity 110
Temp 78 - 80

Mbeale sums it up.....You must SLAM the pool.

The article in Pool School needs to be understood and followed precisely and your pool will clear up.

Your FC that you need to maintain is 28 ppm. I doubt you have the Taylor K2006 to measure high enough since you report "too high to test".

SLAM is correct. Please see the Chlorine/CYA chart link below in my sig and adjust your FC to the applicable SLAM level for your CYA. Use only regular liquid bleach, and turn-off your SWG during the SLAM. Follow everything you see on the SLAM link and it will kill the algae. Make sure you maintain that FC level until you pass all 3 SLAM criteria. Good luck!

Hello and help - the algae started a few weeks ago and at first it was controllable. Possibly started in my solar cover that had been sitting outside for a few months before I put it on the pool end of August. Last 10 days rain in Tennessee everyday but light rain. Yes I neglected it and left the solar cover on it to catch the leaves. Today Pentair chlorine generator still working as it has been. The bottom has pretty thick algae Green.....

Running my Polaris 280 now and have swept the bottom with a brush water is stirred up and green.

I wanted to ask you here on the forum before I did anything. I have owned the pool for 10 years and have a pretty good handle on it most of the time. It is my first year with the Pentair IC40.

Every now and then your pool reminds you are not always in control.

Any advice is helpful for treatment procedures.

Free Chlorine too high to test or at least 9 Taylor 2006 test kit.
Combined Chlorine around 0
PH between 7.6 and 7.8.
Sanitizer CYA between 70 and 80.
Calcium Hardness 240
Alkalinity 110
Temp 78 - 80
If you have a Taylor K2006 FAS/DPD test you are capable of measuring FC up to 50ppm.

Which exact test kit do you have?

With CYA at 80ppm you will need to SLAM at FC 31ppm.

Please read the SLAM procedure in pool school as recommended in the post above.

Dom

Taylor K2006 FAS/DPD Correct

I tested again and it is Free Chlorine - 12. 60 drops 871 at .2 per drop.

Is table in the link saying I need to get my Chlorine up to 28.

I only had a single gallon of liquid shock from Home Depot. I dumped it in.

How much bleach do I most likely need. This is a 18k gallon pool.

I am headed out to get another 5 gallons of bleach.

I added a total of three gallons of bleach. Free chlorine level 28. Going to bed will check on it early tomorrow morning. Thank you to everyone for your help!!
It's fine to use the 10mL sample for a resolution of 0.5ppm. You will save on reagents that way.

If your CYA is between 70-80ppm as you previously posted, it would be best to round up to 80ppm and use a FC of 31ppm for the SLAM.

Dom

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
And don't forget one of the most important parts of SLAM is maintain! SLAM is not a one time add. You need to be adding and checking every hour or so during the first few days. Once the FC drop starts to level off you can stretch out the time between testing and adding.

Update at this point it is clearing up pretty good. Still a little cloudy but the amount of algae that settles to the bottom after brushing has dropped off considerably. My work has been crazy the last couple of days and this is the first time I have had to check back in. I will send another update tomorrow. Thank you to everyone for your advice.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.