Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Slow motor startup

1. Back To Top    #1

Slow motor startup

The motor for my pool filter pump motor (plate picture attached) has recently become slow to start. I swapped the capacitor from a different pump (condition unknown) without any change in results. It is a single 50uF capacitor and I'm not sure if it is for starting or running the motor. Once the motor picks up speed in less than 5 seconds, it runs fine.
    Show I purchase a new capacitor or look for the problem someplace else?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    18K gal in ground, Plaster, three 1 HP WhisperFlo WFE-4 pumps (Pool, Hot Tub, Waterfall), 320 sq ft cartridge filters, MiniMax Plus HP 400 heater, TF-100 test kit, Kreepy Krauly Classic cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Slow motor startup

take out the pump basket with the power off (turn off circuit breaker too) and see if you can
    feel for debris or spin the pump free and easily.

how did the electric connections area look? all shiny/new or corroded?
    16x32 IG Vinyl, 13,000 Gals. Hayward S-244T sand filter, SP2810X15 pump
    (1.5 HP motor) Raypak PR266AEN (266k btu) gas heater. TF-100 Test Kit.
    Dolphin E10 Cleaning Robot.

3. Back To Top    #3

Well, it does sound like something in the start windings and the cap is the usual first culprit. Did you test the cap?
    ----Chris----
    25k IG/Spa Figure 8, 18x36, Pebble Sheen Blue Granite, Sta-Rite S8M150 Cartridge Filter, Pentair 460805 400k BTU Heater & 011018 IntelliFlo VarSpd
    Liquidator, Fafco Solar Heat, Polaris PB460 Booster Pump w/280 cleaner, Katchaleaf Cover, TF100 Test Kit, FAKE MAIN DRAIN

4. Back To Top    #4

I think that that motor usually takes a 30 uF capacitor. What was the uF of the original capacitor? Try a new one with the correct uF rating.

First verify that the shaft turns smoothly and easily. You can access the shaft from the back by removing the small round cover in the back center of the motor. You will need to pry it off with a small flat screwdriver. Then, you can turn the shaft with a 1/2" open end wrench.

5. Back To Top    #5

Thank you for for your quick responses and guidance. This gives me a course of actions; checking the shaft for free spin, electrical contacts for rust, and the capacitor using AVO meter. Both my capacitors are 50 uF. Will report back tomorrow.
    18K gal in ground, Plaster, three 1 HP WhisperFlo WFE-4 pumps (Pool, Hot Tub, Waterfall), 320 sq ft cartridge filters, MiniMax Plus HP 400 heater, TF-100 test kit, Kreepy Krauly Classic cleaner

6. Back To Top    #6

My apologies for late reply. Had to go out of town for a few days.
    The capacitor checked out good so did the shaft free spin. The only thing I found was loose capacitor connectors. I've tightened them and it seems to be working fine.
    Thank you for the help.

7. Back To Top    #7

I was mistaken. The shaft turned with the help of a wrench or plier but not freely by hand. I'm ready to replace the bearings and want to be sure I am buying the correct replacement parts. I've found the manual for my pump here and the motor here. The motor and pump plates are attached.
    I've read that there are different seals used by the manufacturer so I'm wondering how to figure out the correct part number. Secondly, Do I have to purchase bearings sold by the motor manufacturer or any Timkin bearing of that size? My understanding is that bearings are not manufactured by the motor manufacturer and 203FF bearings meet the same specs irrespective of the manufacturer. Am I misinformed?
    Recommended sources for these parts are appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images

8. Back To Top    #8

Update:
    With a little bit of effort, I was able to contact the manufacturers of the pump and the motor. They were very helpful and provided the information below.
    Pentair (919)566-8000
    Pump model WFE-4
    Shaft seal part # 0717345 (PS1000)
    Seal plate gaskit # 357100
    Diffuser O Ring # 355227
    Motor # 3550105
    The pump manual is here.

Century Centurion A.O. Smith Motors (800)672-6495
    Motor capacitor part # 628318-313 50uF, 370V
    They said any bearing of the correct size (203 Double Seal) can be used since manufacturers have to meet ISO specs for size and performance.
    The motor troubleshooting manual is here. It contains directions for testing of capacitor and proper installation bearings.