OK, so what is this stuff?

fofa

Sep 27, 2008
Houston, TX
OK, so what is this stuff?

We don't close for the winter.
About a month and half ago I did the whole Ascorbic acid treatment thing.
Brought my chlorine levels back up.
Brought my salt levels back up (water was about 62F at the time.
When the water temp hit 65 I turned on my SWG.
Water seems balanced, but I have these appearing all around the pool, just under the water line.
General picture
Pool_Black_Dots.jpg

Here is closer look.
Pool_Black_Dots_Closeup.jpg

In the top pic....are we looking down from the top at the water line? On the brown tile in between the grout lines it looks like greenish algae. Those other things...how odd.... :shock:

I agree, are you brushing the sides? Do they brush off?

Please post your full set of test results.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
rogerbrks said:
Are there any tall trees close by. My neighbor has a large oak tree and some other tall "trash" tree that dumps crud into my pool.
Well, same here....and we had several weeks of stuff that looked like coffee grounds! The color in OP's pic looks kinda' dark blue/dark grey/black on my puter, but the stuff in my pool was kinda' dark brown. It wanted to 'stick'.

Had to do a bit of brushing/filtering/backwashing to get rid of it. :grrrr:

I will admit; however, that the pool had less attention for the past 3 months than normal. :oops:

frustratedpoolmom said:
Butterfly said:
I will admit; however, that the pool had less attention for the past 3 months than normal. :oops:

Shame on the MOD.... :whip: :rant:
Yea, but it couldn't be helped! Family comes first!

The good thing is that when you know how to take care of a pool (like what you learn from TFP!), when something like this happens, it is not very difficult to take care of the problem. My pool is beautiful and sparkling now! :lol: 8) :lol:

I'll try to get an analysis of the water done this weekend.

This is looking down the wall. These have started appearing just within the first foot of the water line. Pretty much all around the pool, skipping some spots for whatever reason. I just took a shot of one spot where they are more densely populated.

The brown stone is the coping/waterline stone. The black bits (about the size of kitty litter granules) are on the vertical wall.

They are a little slimy, and do come off, but leave a black spot behind.
But they are not super easy to know off.

They are not from my trees, and the pool is over 30 feet from the house.
Some have little air bubbles surrounding them.

fofa said:
I'll try to get an analysis of the water done this weekend.

This is looking down the wall. These have started appearing just within the first foot of the water line. Pretty much all around the pool, skipping some spots for whatever reason. I just took a shot of one spot where they are more densely populated.

The brown stone is the coping/waterline stone. The black bits (about the size of kitty litter granules) are on the vertical wall.

They are a little slimy, and do come off, but leave a black spot behind.
But they are not super easy to know off.

They are not from my trees, and the pool is over 30 feet from the house.
Some have little air bubbles surrounding them.

Well that is bizarre..... :shock: :shock:

no frogs that I have seen. I have seen frog eggs before, and they are usually attached in a tube looking thing. These are pretty much detached, and all around the pool just below the surface on the walls. This was just one spot.
Due to weather I didn't get a complete water analysis this weekend, but did work my plastic pool brush and got most of this off. It took a little scrubbing to get them removed, not a quick brush over like dirt or dead green algae.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.