Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Heater questions

1. Back To Top    #1

Heater questions

Does a gas heater need to be used on occasion to keep it in good condition? We haven't really used it and it got me wondering if we should run it on occasion to keep things going or if it is designed to sit for long periods without use.

Next question.
    When the pump is running, the water is passing through the heater piping (heater not on). Is this normal or should there be a bypass or valve so to speak to avoid the heater if it's not in use.

I am going to be redoing some plumbing, so now is the time to make things "right"

Thanks.
    13000 Gal rectangle gunite w/Aqua-Glass IG lap pool built in 1987 resurfaced (Aqua-Glass) in 2010, Hayward Max-Flo VS pump (model SP2302VSP)
    Rheem Gas Heater 266,000 BTUH (P-M267A-EN-C), Hayward Pro Grid D.E. Filter model DE3620, ThePoolCleaner, CoverPro safety pool cover, TF-100 test kit w/SpeedStir

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Heater questions

I'm no expert but I turn mine for about 15 minutes every week or two while it the pool is open. Does it help anything? I don't know but I figure that if anything is just moving in, the heat will help change its mind.

As for plumbing, the water always goes through the heater, this is how it detects if it needs to start heating, if has reached the target temp, if it has enough flow, etc.
    23K gallon, IG, Vinyl, Hayward DE-3600 Filter, Raypak 406A Heater, Hayward 1.5HP SP2610X15 pump aka AO Smith UST1152, TF-100 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Re: Heater questions

Quote Originally Posted by 806pool View Post
    Does a gas heater need to be used on occasion to keep it in good condition? We haven't really used it and it got me wondering if we should run it on occasion to keep things going or if it is designed to sit for long periods without use.

Next question.
    When the pump is running, the water is passing through the heater piping (heater not on). Is this normal or should there be a bypass or valve so to speak to avoid the heater if it's not in use.

I am going to be redoing some plumbing, so now is the time to make things "right"

Thanks.
    I usually suggest that once a month or every other month the homeowner run it for maybe 30 minutes. It is a little hard for the "snow birds" to do this as they are gone for up to 6 months.

Water going thru it all the time is fine. Just keep your water in balance.
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,