Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Step by Step instructions needed to move filter

1. Back To Top    #1

Step by Step instructions needed to move filter

Hi,
    We want to move our filter from under the deck to beside the deck. Asthetically we love it under the deck but I hate crawling under the deck and bumping my head and hanging upside down over the deck hole to do anything with the filter. Besides disconnecting the hoses what else needs to be done? We won't be able to get a hand truck underneath to move the filter so I imagine we need to remove the sand. It's 3-4 seasons old. Do we replace the sand or save it and put it back in after moving it?

How do we remove the sand? What else do we need to do to make sure not to damage anything?
    blondemarcello
    18x33 16,700 gallon AG
    Sand, TFP Test, Gas heater
    Minnesota

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Step by Step instructions needed to move filter

The easiest method to remove the sand is to drain the filter completely and let it dry for a few hours. Remove the lid if you can to help it dry out a bit. Then use a shop vac to suck out all the sand. You can reuse the sand if you like but look into Deep Cleaning a Sand Filter after you put it back in the filter. When sucking out the sand and moving the filter without sand, be careful not to damage the laterals inside the filter. Do you know the specific make/model number of your filter?
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

3. Back To Top    #3

Joel,
    Where am I sucking the sand from? What lid? Do you mean the thing on top with the collar/band below the selector for the filter (rinse, filter, backwash, etc)?

Thanks,
    Lissa
    blondemarcello
    18x33 16,700 gallon AG
    Minnesota

4. Back To Top    #4

Sounds like you have a sand filter with a top mount multiport valve. You'll need to remove the multiport valve. I'm assuming it's a Hayward filter? That's why I asked what filter you had.

If you go to the thread I linked, you can see the top mount filter pictured there. In that picture, the retaining collar has already been removed from the looks of it. To remove a Hayward top multiport, you need to loosen the two screws on each side of the retaining collar below the multiport. Once the screws are out, remove the collar and lift the multiport straight up off the top of the filter. Then you can access the inside of the filter and use the vacuum hose to suck out the sand into your shop vac.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir

5. Back To Top    #5

Joel,
    Thanks. I didn't tell you what filter I have because I am guessing it's a Hayward but keep forgetting to look when I go outside. One time when draining the tank I accidentally removed the collar of the drain instead of the drain plug and sand came out it. Would it be possible to empty it that way? I am envisioning holding empty bleach bottles (I have a 30-40 saved for winter cover weights) at the bottom of the filter and filling them. I am thinking it would be easier to move gallon jugs than emptying a full vacuum multiple times and then I have somewhere that I can store it until I get the filter moved. What do you think?
    blondemarcello
    18x33 16,700 gallon AG
    Minnesota

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

Just a thought: Instead of a handcart what about a piano dolly? They are pretty short to the ground and have small wheels. You could maybe tip it up, slide the dolly under it and then re-position as needed. You would need some wood or something to roll it around on to get where you want to go.

looks like this: dolly.jpg
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

7. Back To Top    #7

I don't think the sand is likely to come out very well from the drain. The sand will be soggy and heavy and won't flow much at all unless you somehow get it to dry very well. The reason I suggested a shop vac is that many of them have wheels and they have a fairly large capacity. When I emptied my old filter of about 250 pounds of sand, I sucked quite a bit out until the shop vac was getting heavy. I transferred as much as I could using a small shovel to a tarp on the ground then sucked the rest of the sand out and spread it all on the tarp. Then when refilling, the sand had dried some from sitting spread out for a while and was fairly easy to shovel back into the filter. That should be easier in your area that's not covered by the deck. Just be sure when refilling the filter to cover the center standpipe inside the filter with a bag and rubber band. You don't want sand inside the center pipe.

8. Back To Top    #8

Here is what I did at my buddy's place, something similar to what your describing. I took a piece of plywood just big enough to have the pump and sand filter sit on it, drilled a hole in each corner at one end. Then put a long rope through the holes to pull on. The put the pump and sand filter on top of it, threw the rope out from under the deck, and had him pull it out while I balanced it. Went super easy........easy as pie so to speak. Why pick up and fight with it, when you can slide it out on something.
    Ultra 16', Intex Sand filter/pump combo, 8' x 20' solar panels, solar blanket w/roll tube, 1" extruded foam floor with Gorilla pad, Liquid chlorine and stabilizer.

9. Back To Top    #9

TFP Guide

Leave it to a northy to think of a toboggan!! I love it! That is really a good idea. Sad that I've been away from the north so long I didn't think that way.
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by pabeader View Post
    Leave it to a northy to think of a toboggan!! I love it! That is really a good idea. Sad that I've been away from the north so long I didn't think that way.
    Just make sure your wearing a toque eh!
    Ultra 16', Intex Sand filter/pump combo, 8' x 20' solar panels, solar blanket w/roll tube, 1" extruded foam floor with Gorilla pad, Liquid chlorine and stabilizer.

11. Back To Top    #11

TFP Guide

That's a little TOO far north, eh. In Detroit we just called them stocking caps.