Chlorine Genie

aksdfw

LifeTime Supporter
Oct 7, 2013
DFW, TX
Hi. Anyone know anything about a Chlorine Genie?

Chlorine Genie, Inc.

One pool company has recommended it. I figure the install and purchase price is probably 3-4 years worth of lugging heavy and dirty (from the pigeons at the big box store garden center) chlorine bottles.

The thing that I wonder most about is, the other ions (copper and silver) that are also used/generated. One pool builder told me this was a thing in the 80s or so (our pool equipment has some leftover line he thought may have been for that) and that is was a bad idea to add the other metals (copper turning things green).

I don't know how to evaluate everyone's seemingly different claims!

Any opinions and experience would be appreciated!

Simple. Run! Don't walk, Run from this one. Any suggestion of minerals, or copper or anything other than chlorine, is an immediate red flag. Get your bleach from the big box store. You really don't want to go Lowes or places like that to get your bleach. It deteriorates from heat and time. Always check the datecode. Try not to get stuff older than 3 months.

I have no experience to the device itself, but if the built in ionizer cannot be turned off then don't get it. Copper kills algae but stains easily and turns blonde hair green. Silver is a slow but effective sanitizer but also causes staining if levels get too high. Chlorine itself is more effective than either of those as an algaecide and sanitizer and, when kept at proper proportion to the CYA level, does not cause any problems.

From my HTC One via Tapatalk

The video and brochure are mostly market-speak and fear tactics. Classy as always. The results he describes are no different than those we get with TFPC.

IF this device works as advertised then it is releasing sodium hypochlorite in to your pool, same as bleach. This could possibly be a good product in Texas where soft stone is typically used around pools and can be damaged by salt buildup.

So IF the product works as advertised and IF there is no metal ionizer built in to it, then it might not be a bad choice. But the BS he uses to try to scare people in to purchasing it is a huge red flag in my books.

This device (or one like it) would be of interest to me. My pool is very close to my house so having salt (at SWCG levels) in the pool water could cause a number of problems with window frames, patio furniture, stone work, etc.

If you could isolate where the salt resides from your pool water but still get the convenience of a SWCG that would be a big win in my book.

That video was from 2010. Wonder how they're doing...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I wasn't going to watch this video, but curiosity got the best of me. From the video: "The Mfr adds all kinds of junk to pool chemicals". and, "95% of a chlorine product is not really chlorine", it's full of caustic junk". Woo. Where did he come-up with that info? Regular liquid bleach is Sodium Hypochlorite) at 8.25%, the rest is water and a very small amount of salt - minimal. "The Genie bombards the pool with nitrogen and oxygen to make it more clear". What ????? "Test pH and other chemicals about once a month". Uh oh ... that's not good. His points about environmental awareness and running the pump filter were of no value. "Genie is better because it treats water every day and not just once per week"? Who treats (sanitizes) their water only once per week? His sales pitch just seemed weak and grasping for any way to grab someone's attention who doesn't know any better. Personally, I have no problem walking out to my beautiful pool once each day and adding a 1/2 of regular (generic) bleach. It's very cheap, easy, and just like our bodies, a pool needs attention too (clean, brush, etc). No thanks chlorine genie. :)

I wasn't going to watch this video, but curiosity got the best of me. From the video: "The Mfr adds all kinds of junk to pool chemicals". and, "95% of a chlorine product is not really chlorine", it's full of caustic junk". Woo. Where did he come-up with that info? Regular liquid bleach is Sodium Hypochlorite) at 8.25%, the rest is water and a very small amount of salt - minimal. "The Genie bombards the pool with nitrogen and oxygen to make it more clear". What ????? "Test pH and other chemicals about once a month". Uh oh ... that's not good. His points about environmental awareness and running the pump filter were of no value. "Genie is better because it treats water every day and not just once per week"? Who treats (sanitizes) their water only once per week? His sales pitch just seemed weak and grasping for any way to grab someone's attention who doesn't know any better. Personally, I have no problem walking out to my beautiful pool once each day and adding a 1/2 of regular (generic) bleach. It's very cheap, easy, and just like our bodies, a pool needs attention too (clean, brush, etc). No thanks chlorine genie. :)

well yes, using trouble free method, you do kind of know what you are putting in your pool... I don't know about other chemistry systems... i always like to buy the simple ingredients. I have been using TBFP method since we bought the house and pool 2 years ago... just tempted by not having to buy liquid chlorine!

i did see that old post but couldn't find any others and does't seem that anyone active on this forum would have such a system. I don't think will be putting a SWG in with this rehab either... i have no problems with TBFP, except when I don't go down to the pool and put some bleach in!

Well, if you look up the patent, this gadget is nothing more than a fancy unit for performing the chloralkali process of hypochlorite generation from brine. So the cell produces a solution of hypochlorite, salt and hydroxyl ion and then pumps that into your pool. The rest of the unit is used to create softened water (by RO) and house the brine solution. It's an in-situ bleach generator with a Stenner pump attached....I see no problem with it if you simply ignore the marketing-speak and realize that you still need to test your pool water regularly (more than once a month for sure) and balance your water as-needed.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.