Your opinions on very small inground pool?

Plazaglass

Bronze Supporter
Sep 24, 2015
Atlantic Beach, FL
We are getting very serious about signing a contract for a new inground pool (so no definite information for a signature just yet), but I wanted to get opinions on some of the specs we’re currently considering: 10’ x 15’ rectangle, 4’ at shallow end and 5.5’ at deep end, 120K BTU heat pump, salt chlorine generator.

There are several reasons we (just husband and me) need to keep it small, some of which we can’t control and some we can. Our backyard is small, the sunniest spot is smaller, a slope is a factor, and city ordinances on distances from walls and fences is restrictive. But we do want a pretty small pool anyway, because we want ongoing costs and maintenance work to be on the lower side.

I do wonder, though, if we should try to squeeze in another foot or two on the length, and if that would actually make any real difference.

Does anyone have an inground pool close to this size? How do you like it?

Thanks in advance for any opinions.

Reactions: Nikki904
I think my oldest kid's bedroom is bigger than that pool ;)

Seriously though, I totally understand your restrictions. There's only so much you can do when your backyard is small and the city has very restrictive ordinances. On the upside, a small pool volume is easy to take care of and you won't break your bank account filling it up.

If you can squeeze a few more square feet out of it, I say go for it! It should not affect the build cost as a pool that small is often under the baseline price most PBs offer.

Other thoughts-

1. Since the pool will be rectangular, you might consider splurging for an automatic safety cover. If it's opaque, you can save on chemistry a bit by being able to operate your pool at a lower CYA level since you can cover it and keep the UV off if it.

2. Definitely OVERSIZE the SWG for your pool volume. The bigger the cell, the less you have to run it and the longer they last.

3. Since you're not building a big pool, can you bundle in a backyard kitchen island or some nice landscaping?

4. Have you looked into solar heating in addition to your heat pump? Adding both can really get you a nice, long swimming season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We vacation a lot on the Emerald Coast of Florida and we stay at places with "Cocktail Pools". I had never heard the term much less seen such a small pool. A friend has a home in Destin with such a pool in the courtyard of their vacation home. They love it. Low maintenance and a place to cool off after a hot day at the beach. I say go as big as your zoning will allow. You never know how many people will show up for cocktail hour.

Hi we love our SPool aka social pool. I can't wait to see your pics. Look at our pool build in the sig.

Thanks for all of the replies!

Some answers/responses:

We do plan on redoing the remainder of the backyard area, so overall, it will be a nice place to hang. Landscaping, pavers, etc.

We wanted to do solar, but have too many wonderful trees to make it work.

It will nearly always be just my husband and me using it. Doubt we’ll ever host a pool party :)

We’re not looking to actually swim, but just dip in, cool off, and sit with our feet in the water. Oh, and admire it from the other parts of the yard.

We could extend it into the shade a bit, but it would have to be in the only area adjacent to the pool that will have ample room for lounge chairs and such.

I think I’ll ask the pool builder for a ballpark estimate on adding a couple of feet to the length.

Hi all,

After a long hiatus (went through a health thing, so held off on spending money to see if it was serious — it wasn’t!), we’re back in pool-buying mode.

We’ve just gotten an estimate from a third builder with the following main specs. Want to know what you all think about these:

Dimensions: 11’8” wide by 17’10” long rectangle, including a 4’ by 11’8” tanning ledge
Depth: 3.5’ to 4.5’
Finish: Standard pebble
Pump: Pentair Whisper Flo two-speed
Filter: Pentair cartridge filter
Salt: Intellichlor salt generator
Heat pump: Aqua Cal

As I wrote in the original post, we’re very limited on space, so this is as large as we can go. We’re completely fine with that, though, since it’s just the two of us and we’re not entertainers.

Couple of things we’re thinking about: Changing the depth to a uniform 4.5’ for the whole pool, and going solar for the heat. Also considering a cover of some sort, but haven’t researched that yet.

Thanks for any enlightenment/advice!

Glad to hear you are back and in the pool building business again.

FYI - Don't know if you were considering one but an autocover for that size would be roughly $10k, maybe a shade less depending on options.

17ft-swim-spa-banner.jpg
If you are looking in this size range have you considered a prebuild swim-spa, they have came a long ways in the last few years with more and more companies building them.

Say something like this Endless Pool Swim Spas | Fiberglass Swim Spa | 17 ft Swim Spa

p.s. a swim spa technically being in a portable cabinet may be allowed in some of those restricted spaces also

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
An autocover would be fantastic, but I think that may strain the budget a bit :)

- - - Updated - - -

We have considered those, and visited a local dealer. It's not entirely off of our list but we are leaning more toward a regular in-ground pool at this point.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.