Cleaning algae off drained pool

Sep 26, 2015
Friendswood Tx
I have algae in my above the ground 5000 pool. I've purchased the Taylor TF-100 test kit, a vacuum, and new filters and I thought I was going to SLAM the pool, but the CYA was over 100 and I followed the advise of your site and just drained the pool. It's almost drained (30 hours and still going).

What bleach ratio solution should I use to scrub the sides and bottom of the pool?

Or could I just fill it up and would a shock level of FC kill what is on the walls and sides. Would this be starting the algae cycle over again? The algae is stuck on the steps and rungs of the ladder - it's gross.

I'd rather do it right instead of getting algae again.

Thanks,
Ashley

I think you are right in scrubbing it down. I would use a small amount of detergent (just enough to foam a little) and then maybe 1/4 cup to a gallon of water for bleach.

There is no "magic" in that number but I think that's enough to get you cleaned up ready to go.

Be sure to put CYA and FC right back in the pool if you're filling it this season.

Thank you so much! I'll try this. I had NO idea what I was doing this summer and kept running down to the pool store every other day to spend more money and chase my tail. This site is a wealth of info and I feel like I'll do a better job this go around.

We live in South Houston Texas and our winters are fairly mild. We may have to cover our plants every so often due to freezing temps, but never for more than 2-3 days in a row. The pool is partially under a tree that will loose its leaves. Would it be better to leave the clean pool empty but covered for the winter, or fill it now and keep on top of the water with my new TF -100 kit?

Hi, I'm in the Clear Lake area so I'll tell you what I would do. Your intex is going to need water in it to give it structural integrity, otherwise a good storm could cause it to collapse while empty. I haven't started losing a ton of leaves yet, but my pool is directly under an oak tree and I am getting quite a few acorns. I would fill the pool and keep it clean. If you can't stay ahead of the leaves I would cover it until they are done falling off the trees. If we do end up with one of those nasty freezes that last for days, I would plug the openings, disconnect the hoses, and drain the pump and filter. If they only predict a freeze for a couple of hours just keep the pump running. Stay on top of the FC and you should come through the winter just fine.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.