Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Cleaning algae off drained pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Post Cleaning algae off drained pool

I have algae in my above the ground 5000 pool. I've purchased the Taylor TF-100 test kit, a vacuum, and new filters and I thought I was going to SLAM the pool, but the CYA was over 100 and I followed the advise of your site and just drained the pool. It's almost drained (30 hours and still going).

What bleach ratio solution should I use to scrub the sides and bottom of the pool?

Or could I just fill it up and would a shock level of FC kill what is on the walls and sides. Would this be starting the algae cycle over again? The algae is stuck on the steps and rungs of the ladder - it's gross.

I'd rather do it right instead of getting algae again.

Thanks,
    Ashley
    ashleyc - Intex 15'x48" circle AG /5,300 gal / Cartridge B / Intex 633T Filter Pump / Test Kit TF-100 / Set up (2nd time) 4/16/16

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Cleaning algae off drained pool

I think you are right in scrubbing it down. I would use a small amount of detergent (just enough to foam a little) and then maybe 1/4 cup to a gallon of water for bleach.

There is no "magic" in that number but I think that's enough to get you cleaned up ready to go.

Be sure to put CYA and FC right back in the pool if you're filling it this season.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Thank you so much! I'll try this. I had NO idea what I was doing this summer and kept running down to the pool store every other day to spend more money and chase my tail. This site is a wealth of info and I feel like I'll do a better job this go around.

We live in South Houston Texas and our winters are fairly mild. We may have to cover our plants every so often due to freezing temps, but never for more than 2-3 days in a row. The pool is partially under a tree that will loose its leaves. Would it be better to leave the clean pool empty but covered for the winter, or fill it now and keep on top of the water with my new TF -100 kit?
    ashleyc - Intex 15'x48" circle AG /5,300 gal / Cartridge B / Intex 633T Filter Pump / Test Kit TF-100 / Set up (2nd time) 4/16/16

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

I am tempted to say fill it now and keep it maintained but there are many Texas folks here who have more experience with your particular climate.

Let's hear their thoughts.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Hi, I'm in the Clear Lake area so I'll tell you what I would do. Your intex is going to need water in it to give it structural integrity, otherwise a good storm could cause it to collapse while empty. I haven't started losing a ton of leaves yet, but my pool is directly under an oak tree and I am getting quite a few acorns. I would fill the pool and keep it clean. If you can't stay ahead of the leaves I would cover it until they are done falling off the trees. If we do end up with one of those nasty freezes that last for days, I would plug the openings, disconnect the hoses, and drain the pump and filter. If they only predict a freeze for a couple of hours just keep the pump running. Stay on top of the FC and you should come through the winter just fine.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

I'm just going to toss out that when studying microbiology in college we were always taught that a 10% bleach solution worked as well as a stronger one. I'd aim for that if you can.
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

7. Back To Top    #7

Thank you all! I'm fixing to get busy!