Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Letting Local Pool Store Close -- Questions re: Algicide and FC Level

1. Back To Top    #1

Chickasha, OK

Letting Local Pool Store Close -- Questions re: Algicide and FC Level

This has been my first summer using the TFP method. Y'all have made a believer out of me, for sure. However, I'm slightly intimidated by the closing/opening process, as I've had the local pool store open and close for the last 4 years.

I've decided I'm going to have them close the pool this fall (like next week). I asked what chemical they usually use for closing, and they advised they typically use BioGuard Banish. I told them I didn't want to use copper, and asked if they had any polyquat algicide instead. They said they'd use BioGuard's Algae All 60 (60% polyquat), rather than Banish.

While looking through BioGuard's page on AA60, I noticed their instructions say to "Adjust chlorine to 1.0--3.0 ppm". This immediately concerned me. With my CYA at 40 ppm, my minimum FC is 3 ppm. I tend to keep my FC around 6.0 ppm to give myself a good amount of posterior coverage.

I've read many posts which advise increasing FC to SLAM level, then allowing it to drift back down to "half-SLAM" before adding polyquat, allowing that to circulate, then closing everything up.

What would be the recommendation of the forum in this instance?

FYI, I plan to open and close myself next year...

EDIT: Right after I posted this, I found this thread, along with chem geek's post in this thread.

I think that answers my question...
    25,000 gallon freeform gunnite/plaster, built in the 1970s/80s; Sta-Rite 9463004 575-lb. sand filter; Sta-Rite single-speed 1.5 HP pump; Raypak RP 2100 natural gas heater (not in use).
    Helpful links: TFTestKits; Pool School; ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry; Chlorine/CYA Chart; PoolMath; SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain

2. Back To Top    #2
    Northern IL

Re: Letting Local Pool Store Close -- Questions re: Algicide and FC Level

Good luck!!!
    27K IG rectangular; vinyl liner; sand filter; 1hp pump; auto-cover; heater; K-2006.