Intermittent Power Issues

Bimmer

Jun 20, 2012
Hi folks! I've not posted in quite awhile but now I really need your help. We've had our Blue Ridge Spa now for about three years. It's been rebuilt and re-plumbed prior to buying it. Once in awhile it will shut off completely. This unit runs 24/7 keeping the heat active so it doesn't freeze in the winter months. So every once in awhile I have to go out to the GFCI and flip the switch off and then back on again. Well, about a month ago I thought the things was dead. I could not get it to come on and I tried for over a week just trying to reset it by turning on and off the 220 box and back on again and then doing the same to GFCI box. When it doesn't come on, the switch with give a click to let me know that it's still tripping out and won't reset. Then all of the sudden one day it worked and the power came on and everything worked fine. In the last week now though, it has shut off several times a day. Is it the GFCI box?.....or the 220 box? By the way the tub is on it's own 220 box. Nothing else is on it. And if that's not enough. Since we've owned it there have been a number of times that the jets will come on all by themselves with no one in the tub, no matter during the day or at night. Maybe I have a Spa Ghost!

One of two things pop into my mind right away. A faulty GFCI in the box, or a faulty heater circuit. Replace the GFCI and see if that fixes it. It's the easiest of the two. Make sure the power to the SPA GFCI box is off before you do this, of course.

Bob beat me to it! Halloween is coming! Blame it on the ghost. :) Well, hoping that you don't actually have an overheating issue somewhere in the circuit, or perhaps something exposed to moisture somewhere tripping the GFCI, perhaps the GFCI itself is going bad? It can happen. If you are comfortable replacing that breaker, that might be a good place to start. Watch for most replies though. Lots of good electrical folks on the site who may have other ideas.

Thanks very much Pa and Texas! When I got the spa about 4 years ago, I bought a 220 breaker box and GFCI and cable from Home Depot, so I wouldn't have thought it would go back so quickly. That doesn't explain both sets of jets coming on by themselves. I think that's going to be one of those unsolved mysteries.

The box you bought was called a Spa Pack. At least that's what they were calling them when I got mine. Came with GFCI for 220 and 110. My first 220 GFCI went out in 6 months. The second one was almost three years.

If your controls are digital, the 'noise' from the failing GFCI can cause all kinds of weird things to happen.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.