Pool brush and pole recommendation

806pool

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 4, 2015
So. Cal.
Picking up my new pool cleaner tomorrow and am also in need of a new brush and pole. The brush I have now came with the house and is probably ancient as the bristles just fall out every time I brush. The pole seems to want to bend/kink also as I'm applying pressure. Seems poorly made. I'm not sure if there are different styles of bristles either or which ones are better for our pool surface

I could ask the pool store, but I'd rather get legit recommendations rather than a sales pitch, lol.

We have an Aqua-Glass surface which is like a fiberglass shot over the gunite. Pool is 3.5-5-3.5

Thanks!

I've got a Stanley plastic bristle pool brush to replace one that was doing the same thing as yours with the bristle shedding. So far it works pretty well after one summer use but I think the bristles could be a little longer or more rigid. Applying even moderate pressure causes the head of the brush to scrape along in front of the bristles at certain angles. Brush head showing some corrosion already but I'm not diligent in rinsing it with tap water after use.

I've got an old extendable aluminum pole that I inherited when I bought the house with the pool and it's holding up well despite sometimes not being able to get the extension locking nut loose to change the handle length. I've seen some carbon fiber and fiberglass poles but haven't had to purchase one of those yet...

When it comes to the pole, just see which one is the heaviest and has the largest wall thickness. Most all of them are made of aluminum which is a pretty soft metal, relatively speaking, so it tends to flex a lot, especially at the joint. It may cost quite a bit more than the standard blue cheapo pole, but it will last a lot longer so cheaper in the long run.

When it comes to the brush, I would recommend one that has curved ends and rubber bumpers. I have no experience with your pool surface but the plastic part of the brush will make marks on my plaster without rubber bumpers. I would also recommend a brush that has a fin. The purpose of this is to act like a spoiler on a car. As you push the brush through the water, the fin keeps the brush pressed against the pool's surface. For people like me with jacked up shoulders, that feature is kind of a life saver.

If buying another one (the one I'm using was provided by the PB on handoff) I'd measure the distance from the longest side to the drain at the angle you'd be pushing the brush and then just buy a pole that length. As crazy as it may sound, I don't like adjusting the pole length with wet hands and think it would be easier to just keep moving along the side evenly rather than having to stop and adjust length. That's as long as you're not sweeping an Olympic pool that would need a 50' pole! Just something that springs to mind...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I purchased a new brush earlier this year. I was looking at the wall whale as I had heard good things about it, but couldn't find it anywhere locally or on Amazon. I ended up purchasing this one from Leslie's.

SweepEase Aquadynamic High Efficiency Pool Brush

It seems to have the same type of action as the wall whale, as I can easily brush down the walls with one arm. With my old brush, I had to pull the the handle toward me with one hand and push down the wall with the other. This one is much easier! I was reluctant to brush as much as I should have with my old brush, but now I don't mind it at all.

I would definitely recommend the SweepEase, and will purchase it again when it's time for a replacement.

I picked up the SweepEase and it's GREAT!! Super easy to use!! Makes brushing a piece of cake. Don't have a whole lot of experience but it's definitely easier than my standard brush I had before. Much quicker too! Thanks for the recommendation!! Haven't got a pole yet...but don't need nearly the pressure as the last brush!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.