Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool Loaded with DE Media.

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool Loaded with DE Media.

Hello All,

Recently i changed my DE powder in the pool. Now the problem is, my pool is loaded with DE media now. The bottom surface is full of it. I put in the pool robot and it scooped up at least a kilo of it. Now, i am a little worried, that with all the DE in the pool, how much is left to do the cleaning??
    Purex Titron FNS DE Filter 25000 gallons approx.
    Century A.O. Smith B855 56Y 2HP Motor. 40x25 (approx). Plaster surface.
    TFT-100 Test Kit.
    Rainbow Lifeguard 320.
    DX5+S Cleaner.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool Loaded with DE Media.

Probably not much! Sounds like you have a tear in the fabric on one of the grids. You can try to fix it but I would suggest replacing it. You can easily buy a replacement for the grid that is damaged instead of buying the whole set. You may have more than one damaged grid. When is the last time you took the filter housing apart to do a deep clean of the grids? How old are the ones that in there now?
    Curtis- 20k gallon IG gunnite/plaster with hot tub/waterfall and "grotto"
    All Jandy equipment: 60sqft DE filter - 399k btu natural gas heater - Stealth pumps - iAquaLink RS8.
    Polaris 9400 on patrol.
    TF-100 in da house/TFP method in effect: FC=4-6, pH=7.5, TA=80, CH=250, CYA=50, Borate=50, CSI=-0.21

3. Back To Top    #3

How old, i cant really say. Coz i only moved into the house 2.5 months ago. The good clean was just 1.5 weeks ago, when i replaced the DE powder. I did not notice any tears on the surface. But cant really be sure. The only thing i goofed up on was put in too much. Required 9 pounds of the powder. I think i put in about 11-12.5 pounds of it.

It only spews the media, only when the pump starts, rest of the run is pretty clean. But over the past few days i haven't been able to track it. Coz the pump starts when the i am in the office!
    TFT-100 Test Kit.
    Rainbow Lifeguard 320.
    DX5+S Cleaner.

4. Back To Top    #4

Even if you add too much DE, it will just increase your pressure on the pump side. If you did a visual inspection when you cleaned them and didn't notice any problems, either you didn't put everything back together properly or they are old and decided to start breaking after you handled them. If some of the plastic veins break on the inside, the loose plastic pieces can tear the fabric. You really can't know anything without a visual inspection. How was the color of the fabric after you cleaned them?
    All Jandy equipment: 60sqft DE filter - 399k btu natural gas heater - Stealth pumps - iAquaLink RS8.
    Polaris 9400 on patrol.
    TF-100 in da house/TFP method in effect: FC=4-6, pH=7.5, TA=80, CH=250, CYA=50, Borate=50, CSI=-0.21

5. Back To Top    #5

My old pool had a DE filter and this happened when i cleaned the grids, I didn't seat the housing back in correctly. And the plastic fitting actually broke

Freeform /620 Surface/110 perimeter/20k gal/ Raised bond beam/Baja shelf (2)//Pentair- Intelliflo VS pump, Pentair Whisperflo 1hp// Easytouch, C&C 520 Cartridge, Intellichlor SWCG// A&A- Magnasweep in-floor, LeafVac, Venturi Skimmer,// Mini-pebble (Aqua Blue w abalone shell)//4 Pentair Globrite LEDs//3 sheer descents//Travertine coping and decking.

6. Back To Top    #6

Other than the grids, could there be any other problem? Its just taking it apart and putting it back in is too much work!

Just want to eliminate all other issues, before taking the filter out.
    TFT-100 Test Kit.
    Rainbow Lifeguard 320.
    DX5+S Cleaner.

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

Let me turn it around. "What else do you think it could be?"
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

8. Back To Top    #8

That's pretty much it. It's one of 3 things:
    1: You have a tear(s) in the fabric.
    2: Grids not fitted into the manifold properly.
    3: Broken manifold.

You must take the filter housing apart and perform a visual inspection to find out which it is and fix the problem.

When you add DE to a freshly cleaned filter it is normal for some of the DE to end up back in the pool at first. Some of the media will pass through the screen on the first pass. It isn't until the media is caked onto the fabric that you have a 1 or 2 micron filter in effect. Just brush the pool to get the media re-suspended in the water while the pump is running once a day until there is no more media in the pool. If there is more than just a small amount of media in the pool after doing this 3 times, then you have breakthrough and you must investigate.

Polaris 9400 on patrol.

9. Back To Top    #9

As others have said it could be that the grids were not completely connected to the manifold, this would leave a space for the water and DE to flow back into the pool. It could be a tear in on of the grids as well. One other thing it could be is a bad spider gasket in the multiport valve. When you move the handle from Circulate, to backwash, to rinse, etc, a rubber gasket keeps the sections in the multiport valve isolated from each other. So if this gasket is bad water and DE could be flowing from back into the pool from the multiport valve because the sections are not longer isolated and it effectively creates a bypass in the system. The good news is that it is cheap part to replace, however you have to make sure that you get the correct one. Some seem to work better than others. I had to order from two different manufactures (same size and model) before I got one that actually created a seal. Hope this helps.
    25,000 gallon in ground white plaster- 1 1/2 HP Pentair SuperFlo pump - 60 sqft FNS DE filter (with FiberClear), 1999 Sundance Optima 850 hot tub.
    Manassas Park, VA

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco View Post
    As others have said it could be that the grids were not completely connected to the manifold, this would leave a space for the water and DE to flow back into the pool. It could be a tear in on of the grids as well. One other thing it could be is a bad spider gasket in the multiport valve. When you move the handle from Circulate, to backwash, to rinse, etc, a rubber gasket keeps the sections in the multiport valve isolated from each other. So if this gasket is bad water and DE could be flowing from back into the pool from the multiport valve because the sections are not longer isolated and it effectively creates a bypass in the system. The good news is that it is cheap part to replace, however you have to make sure that you get the correct one. Some seem to work better than others. I had to order from two different manufactures (same size and model) before I got one that actually created a seal. Hope this helps.
    Good call on the spider gasket. I didn't think of that.
    Polaris 9400 on patrol.