Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Timer problem

1. Back To Top    #1

Question Timer problem

Just had a customer move timer and they called and said it was not working properly afterwards...so I get a new t101 and install...still not working. Install another still not working properly. Apparently when the off marker turns the pump off it kills power to the timer and won't turn back on. According to my electrician it is wired properly but I'm starting to wonder. Here is a pic of actual timer and a second pic of how it should be which is one in the same (just pretend the red wire is white). Any ideas on what's wrong am on my third one. If someone says the wiring is wrong I'm firingthe electrician!IMG_0027.jpgIMG_0057.jpg sorry pic turned sideways on me

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Timer problem

Verify that the line and load wires aren't reversed.

The wires from the left go where? (the pump motor)

Real easy solution, reverse the position of the black wires.
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

3. Back To Top    #3

thanks for the quick response did you see the pic?

4. Back To Top    #4

Other than the way the ground is just wrapped around the other and not firmly tied or affixed together and/or at the ground point screw, the supply/load wires seem to match the T101 manual correctly.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

saw the pic. it will hurt nothing to try reversing the location of the black wires. I will jump in my pool if I'm wrong.
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

6. Back To Top    #6

I agree with Bob. I wasn't sure which set of wire were the load or source, but if the black wires were inverted, it could be simply turning "off" thinking it was turning on.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.

7. Back To Top    #7

In the original pic the power comes in from the side and the bottom wires go to the pump. In the mock up the power in is the longer wires. I will try to reverse the blacks but I'm pretty darn sure it is correct. I just joined the club I don't want anyone having to jump in the pool on my account!

8. Back To Top    #8

TFP Guide

Here's what's happening. The timer is on A and 1. The switch circuit is between 1 and 2. With the line connected to 2 and the load connected to 1. The timer will only work when the manual switch is in the ON position connecting 1 and 2. As the timer runs it will eventually bring the "off" clip around to the switch and turn off the power to the pump and the timer.

With the line on 1 and the load on 2, the timer is powered all the time and everything works like you would expect it to.

- - - Updated - - -

I bet, when they moved the timer the first time, they revered the position of the conduits coming into the box. From there it's all assumption.

9. Back To Top    #9

Does this exempt Bob from jumping into his pool?

10. Back To Top    #10

Haha...no one jumping pool today!!! Bob has it right the black wires are reversed! We assumed based on the picture that power was coming in from the right side of the box in which case it is wired properly...but...the power is coming in from the bottom which means the line and load are reversed. You guys are awesome thanks soooo much.

11. Back To Top    #11

Outstanding. Another mystery solved.

12. Back To Top    #12

I'm no electrician but I've successfully installed seven of these timers on five different pools. Anybody can mistake where buried conduits come from, but to not verify that the load is the load and the line is the line is just pitiful. It takes 30 seconds with a test light to figure out this issue, only slightly longer over the internet. I'd never trust that guy again. Rookie mistakes can kill.
    Current: 28,000G 18'x36' I/G AnthonySylvan Plaster; Waterway 60 sq.ft. DE Filter; 1.0hp x 1.65 SF Two-Speed (B2982) WhisperFlo; 2004-Present
    Previous: 40,000G 20'x40' I/G Koven unlined WWII salvage 5/8" marine steel; Lomart Stainless Sand Filter; 3/4hp Hayward SuperPump; 1946-2003 (managed by me from about 1964)
    Ancient Taylor K-2000, upgraded with Taylor CH, TA, and FAS-DPD, and TFT CYA tests.

13. Back To Top    #13

TFP Guide

There are two other code related problems that need to be fixed.

First...The ground wiring for pools HAS to be an insulated wire.

Second problem can be fixed when you pull the new wire in. The way the current ground wire is attached is no good. The two wires need to be twisted together with a third pigtail wire and a wire nut. The pigtail then will connect to the ground screw
    Unknown make 18' above ground (bought used in 1999) Sparco sand filter. Hayward 100,000 BTu heater. 2 speed pump

14. Back To Top    #14

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by Durk View Post
    I'm no electrician but I've successfully installed seven of these timers on five different pools. Anybody can mistake where buried conduits come from, but to not verify that the load is the load and the line is the line is just pitiful. It takes 30 seconds with a test light to figure out this issue, only slightly longer over the internet. I'd never trust that guy again. Rookie mistakes can kill.
    Quote Originally Posted by danpik View Post
    There are two other code related problems that need to be fixed.

First...The ground wiring for pools HAS to be an insulated wire.

Second problem can be fixed when you pull the new wire in. The way the current ground wire is attached is no good. The two wires need to be twisted together with a third pigtail wire and a wire nut. The pigtail then will connect to the ground screw
    Get a new electrician before someone gets hurt.

Dom
    Dom - TFP Guide
    Intex 18' X 48" Ultra Frame AGP 6700 gallons | Two Intex CS8110 SWG's | Hayward Pro Series 21" Sandfilter | Hayward 1.5HP Power Flo Matrix pump | Hayward Thru-wall Skimmer | Wanda the Whale | 72 sq ft of Sungrabber Solar Panels with Hayward GLC-2P-A | Taylor K2006 Test Kit, Sample Sizer & Speed Stir | Click Here To Become a TFP Supporter!

15. Back To Top    #15

TFP Guide

Looking at the pictures again, I can see what is probably another code violation. The solid copper wires coming into and going out of the box are most likely part of a romex style cable assembly. It is very rare to see solid conductor wire sold as individual wires. With that, Romex style cables, except for UF cable, is not rated for wet locations. Any conduit, including liquid-tight is considered by the NEC to be a wet location. Therefore, the individual wires need to be THWN rated and marked as such
    Unknown make 18' above ground (bought used in 1999) Sparco sand filter. Hayward 100,000 BTu heater. 2 speed pump