Step Railing. Middle, Right, Left?

I also need help getting up and down steps.

Every situation is different, so think about your personal needs. Is it more difficult going up steps, down steps, or equal? If it's difficult either way, then rails on either side would be the better choice.

For me, it's more difficult going up steps, especially in the pool. The whole buoyancy thing... Going down steps gravity and deeper water as I go are working for me. The opposite going up the steps works against me. I'm also right handed, so I would want the rail on my right when going up the steps.

Hope this helps...

Take care,
Suz.

Now that I see the picture, not the center because the last step is narrow (opposite of what I expected!). Not sure it really matters?

I have to agree. If you put the rail in the middle that bottom step will be VERY narrow.

Pics do that trick again! Good job!

I would do both side if possible. If not right side as that is YOUR side so..........

What side is the bad ankle on? Think about when you walk up dry steps which side is easier for you climb with a rail?

Kim

I forgot to mention... As Kim says, with the narrow bottom step, I think I would not put a rail down the middle. Measure the space you have and test it out, but it looks like a center rail would be too crowded and awkward at that bottom step.

Also, look into a D-shaped rail. It is a closed type rail that goes out over steps but not down all the way. It gives the support you need most where needed, at the top. I think that would work for you in the center.

I'm on my cell, but I can post a picture later when I get to my computer. I didn't give you a very good visual description above....

Suz.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Just my 2 cents: I made my own railing out of PVC. Made it so it was movable. Over the course of a few days of use it has ended up on the left as you are descending. Seems to make most sense there because on the way in you are just needing some steadying, but on the way out you somethings need a little extra umph. There is a 100lb bag of sand on the bottom that isn't shown in the picture.

Just my 2 cents: I made my own railing out of PVC. Made it so it was movable. Over the course of a few days of use it has ended up on the left as you are descending. Seems to make most sense there because on the way in you are just needing some steadying, but on the way out you somethings need a little extra umph. There is a 100lb bag of sand on the bottom that isn't shown in the picture.

Looks like about $15 in PVC. Very nice. Was the use of four 45-degree elbows at the top for looks or strength or did you just run out of 90s? :mrgreen: You could even fill the base with thin concrete or sand before assembling to add more weight.

pool rails d shape - Google Search

I really like the top set. They look like they could take some tugging and pulling as your pull your self out of the pool.

Suz, are these the shape you were thinking of?

Kim

Thanks, Kim!! That's exactly what I was thinking of. And that's a great page you linked in that it shows several variations on the rail - angles, slopes, etc.

I really like the idea of the PVC rails, because they are moveable. That would allow changes in situations and needs. I keep telling myself I won't always need help up and down steps, so I really wanted to avoid using a rail. I was lucky, since the pool design allows me to hold onto the spa coping and the sun shelf on the other side. But a moveable rail is a great option.

Now for me, the PVC rail would need to be very solid. I don't need something just to steady me. I'm putting a lot of weight and force on a rail or whatever when I'm going up steps - not so much going down.

If you have extra change to spend, there's another more modern design for a handrail. I had considered it until I didn't need it for the pool. I think I also saw it on Janny's pool. I'll have to check that.

Here's a picture below, but of course.... it costs a little more.

So many options!
Suz.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.