Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Step Railing. Middle, Right, Left?

1. Back To Top    #1

Step Railing. Middle, Right, Left?

Entrance steps....they are 8 feet, nothing fancy. Didn't know I had an option. Family is right handed if it makes a difference.
    So is yours....?
    Right
    Left
    Middle.
    20x35 IG Grecian Sport Pool (4' x 5 1/2' x 4')
    1000' Sandstone Stamped Cocete
    Hayward SWG, DE Filter & Pro Logic LED
    3 deck jets

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Step Railing. Middle, Right, Left?

Most people seem to skip railing altogether. That said, if my steps descended into the pool away from the pool wall, I would put it a hand rail in the center.
    My Pool Build (2015): inground 12K gals gunite/plaster pool, SWG, 2-speed pump, cartridge filter, gas heater, and polaris cleaner (Jandy). TF-100 Test Kit w/ Speed Stir

3. Back To Top    #3

When you say 8 feet do you mean wide? as in from side to side? Share a pic and I am sure you will get all kinds of ideas.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Yes. 8' wide.
    Can't skip railing, got a bad ankle.
    3 deck jets

5. Back To Top    #5

Now that I see the picture, not the center because the last step is narrow (opposite of what I expected!). Not sure it really matters?
    My Pool Build (2015): inground 12K gals gunite/plaster pool, SWG, 2-speed pump, cartridge filter, gas heater, and polaris cleaner (Jandy). TF-100 Test Kit w/ Speed Stir

6. Back To Top    #6

I have the same kind of steps and we have a railing on both sides.

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

I also need help getting up and down steps.

Every situation is different, so think about your personal needs. Is it more difficult going up steps, down steps, or equal? If it's difficult either way, then rails on either side would be the better choice.

For me, it's more difficult going up steps, especially in the pool. The whole buoyancy thing... Going down steps gravity and deeper water as I go are working for me. The opposite going up the steps works against me. I'm also right handed, so I would want the rail on my right when going up the steps.

Hope this helps...

Take care,
    Suz.
    Suz~Cypress area~ 2015 pool build. 23K gallons. IG swcg system. 35'x18'; 573sf; 104' perim; depth 4'-7'. Bubblers, sheer descents, 7' spa. Jandy: color LEDs; 2HP 2sp pump; 1HP 2sp pump; spa pump; 580 cartridge; 400K BTU; Dolphin M500; PS8; Inline chlorinator not used; Aqua Pure 1400. Blue Granite Sheen. Travertine deck. Lightstreams Peacock Blue TF-100, K-1766, SpeedStir

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Helen203 View Post
    Now that I see the picture, not the center because the last step is narrow (opposite of what I expected!). Not sure it really matters?
    Hey, but that is a good point.
    3 deck jets

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by Helen203 View Post
    I have to agree. If you put the rail in the middle that bottom step will be VERY narrow.

Pics do that trick again! Good job!

I would do both side if possible. If not right side as that is YOUR side so..........

What side is the bad ankle on? Think about when you walk up dry steps which side is easier for you climb with a rail?

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

10. Back To Top    #10

TFP Guide

I forgot to mention... As Kim says, with the narrow bottom step, I think I would not put a rail down the middle. Measure the space you have and test it out, but it looks like a center rail would be too crowded and awkward at that bottom step.

Also, look into a D-shaped rail. It is a closed type rail that goes out over steps but not down all the way. It gives the support you need most where needed, at the top. I think that would work for you in the center.

I'm on my cell, but I can post a picture later when I get to my computer. I didn't give you a very good visual description above....

Suz.
    Suz~Cypress area~ 2015 pool build. 23K gallons. IG swcg system. 35'x18'; 573sf; 104' perim; depth 4'-7'. Bubblers, sheer descents, 7' spa. Jandy: color LEDs; 2HP 2sp pump; 1HP 2sp pump; spa pump; 580 cartridge; 400K BTU; Dolphin M500; PS8; Inline chlorinator not used; Aqua Pure 1400. Blue Granite Sheen. Travertine deck. Lightstreams Peacock Blue TF-100, K-1766, SpeedStir

11. Back To Top    #11

pool rails d shape - Google Search

I really like the top set. They look like they could take some tugging and pulling as your pull your self out of the pool.

Suz, are these the shape you were thinking of?

Kim

12. Back To Top    #12

TFP Guide

Just my 2 cents: I made my own railing out of PVC. Made it so it was movable. Over the course of a few days of use it has ended up on the left as you are descending. Seems to make most sense there because on the way in you are just needing some steadying, but on the way out you somethings need a little extra umph. There is a 100lb bag of sand on the bottom that isn't shown in the picture.

Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by pabeader View Post
    Just my 2 cents: I made my own railing out of PVC. Made it so it was movable. Over the course of a few days of use it has ended up on the left as you are descending. Seems to make most sense there because on the way in you are just needing some steadying, but on the way out you somethings need a little extra umph. There is a 100lb bag of sand on the bottom that isn't shown in the picture.

Looks like about $15 in PVC. Very nice. Was the use of four 45-degree elbows at the top for looks or strength or did you just run out of 90s? You could even fill the base with thin concrete or sand before assembling to add more weight.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

14. Back To Top    #14

TFP Guide

Looks and an oops! The short piece was supposed to be in amongst the 45s but when I started gluing them up, I was distracted by 'somebody' and before I knew it they were all glued together like that.
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

15. Back To Top    #15

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by kimkats View Post
    pool rails d shape - Google Search

I really like the top set. They look like they could take some tugging and pulling as your pull your self out of the pool.

Suz, are these the shape you were thinking of?

Kim
    Thanks, Kim!! That's exactly what I was thinking of. And that's a great page you linked in that it shows several variations on the rail - angles, slopes, etc.

I really like the idea of the PVC rails, because they are moveable. That would allow changes in situations and needs. I keep telling myself I won't always need help up and down steps, so I really wanted to avoid using a rail. I was lucky, since the pool design allows me to hold onto the spa coping and the sun shelf on the other side. But a moveable rail is a great option.

Now for me, the PVC rail would need to be very solid. I don't need something just to steady me. I'm putting a lot of weight and force on a rail or whatever when I'm going up steps - not so much going down.

If you have extra change to spend, there's another more modern design for a handrail. I had considered it until I didn't need it for the pool. I think I also saw it on Janny's pool. I'll have to check that.

Here's a picture below, but of course.... it costs a little more.

So many options!
    Suz.

16. Back To Top    #16

Oh I like that one Suz! So pretty and different!

The PVC one for balance but would not be as much fun to slide down----------you KNOW someone will try!

Kim

17. Back To Top    #17

Hopefully if needed, I can add something later.
    3 deck jets

18. Back To Top    #18

TFP Guide

Trouble with doing it later is drilling hole for pipes. Not impossible, just a pain in the behind.