After a long summer of being delayed for various reasons getting our retaining wall built, we are now delayed until Spring to start the pool build. We are going to sign the contract in the next two weeks for the pool build to lock in the price for a Spring build. I have a few concerns.
The original plan was to build the pool this fall then close it for the winter. Building a IG vinyl pool. Next Spring we were to build the pool deck and surrounding patio. All of which is going to be done with pavers. This would have given us a New England winter to let things settle. Now the plan is to build the pool early next Spring, then do the deck and patio with the pavers just after.
I am concerned with settling issues on the paver deck. I had been told by some that you should wait to install deck, while some have said it shouldn't be an issue.
I do not like the idea of building the pool early Spring then waiting for several months to move ahead with the pool deck.. Reasons are as follows. My house is built on top of cut hill. The soil is naturally very very rocky. After all the work done over the past few weeks my backyard is a disaster. At the moment its all mud from recent rains, and sharp rocks everywhere that have pushed their way to the top of the recently graded soil. Not really safe to use for our little ones. Once the pool is in we will need to put up a child safety fence as we have a 16 month old. I really do not want to take care of a pool all next summer surrounded by dirt, and I am not sure if we would be able to put in a safety fence in soil. If we wait until next fall to build the pool then the cost of the pool goes up, plus I would then have to pay this year to put down loom and grass seed so we could use the backyard next summer, only to tear it up again.
The guy who is going to do the pavers is the same who just built my retaining wall. He did a great job. He assured me that he has done a number of pool decks just after the builders have left and there has been no issues. He is also somewhat become a friend of mine and he said that if there were any settling issues he would take care of them for me.
Should I even be concerned? What things can I ask him to do when doing the deck to ensure that settling will not happen?