"Periscope" method used on water returns for closing - makes me nervous - need help!

LordX2

Jun 11, 2011
"Periscope" method used on water returns for closing - makes me nervous - need help!

Hey all - I had a new pool guy close my pool this year.

Something made me a little nervous.

He used what he called periscopes on the water returns. I don't know if this is a common term - so I will explain it.

He screws in a 90 degree pvc tube into the water returns so the top sticks out of the water and he uses this to pour in the anti-freeze after blowing out the air in the lines - and then plugs the top.

Here is what makes me nervous: The periscopes didn't seem to be all that tight when installed. While blowing out the water from the lines, I could see air bubbles coming out of the threads of the returns. My noob thoughts are - if air is coming through - water can leak back in.

With the anti-freeze poured in, should I or should I not be worried?

Re: "Periscope" method used on water returns for closing - makes me nervous - need he

I use periscopes on my pool when closing, BUT I make sure they're sealed into the wall fittings with a little T-tape. You are completely correct. If air can leak out, water can leak in. However, the antifreeze will most likely protect the lines even if a little water gets in. Since you don't have your location in your sig, we don't know how cold it gets there, so we don't know whether you should be concerned or not. Also, I don't use antifreeze on our pool, so it's more important that I make sure that the periscopes are sealed.

Re: "Periscope" method used on water returns for closing - makes me nervous - need he

I'd be a good deal more careful in that location. Hopefully they put in plenty of antifreeze, and if anything happens because of their not properly winterizing, they'll be accountable for any repairs needed.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.