Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: "Periscope" method used on water returns for closing - makes me nervous - need help!

1. Back To Top    #1

"Periscope" method used on water returns for closing - makes me nervous - need help!

Hey all - I had a new pool guy close my pool this year.

Something made me a little nervous.

He used what he called periscopes on the water returns. I don't know if this is a common term - so I will explain it.

He screws in a 90 degree pvc tube into the water returns so the top sticks out of the water and he uses this to pour in the anti-freeze after blowing out the air in the lines - and then plugs the top.

Here is what makes me nervous: The periscopes didn't seem to be all that tight when installed. While blowing out the water from the lines, I could see air bubbles coming out of the threads of the returns. My noob thoughts are - if air is coming through - water can leak back in.

With the anti-freeze poured in, should I or should I not be worried?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: "Periscope" method used on water returns for closing - makes me nervous - need he

Yep, my thoughts are " typical pool store guy". that's why we stay away and do things ourselves.
    19,000 gal - Vinyl IG - Sand filter -1.5hp. - Taylor k 2006 - Loop Loc cover

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: "Periscope" method used on water returns for closing - makes me nervous - need he

I use periscopes on my pool when closing, BUT I make sure they're sealed into the wall fittings with a little T-tape. You are completely correct. If air can leak out, water can leak in. However, the antifreeze will most likely protect the lines even if a little water gets in. Since you don't have your location in your sig, we don't know how cold it gets there, so we don't know whether you should be concerned or not. Also, I don't use antifreeze on our pool, so it's more important that I make sure that the periscopes are sealed.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

I live in Syracuse NY - so it gets BONE chilly!

5. Back To Top    #5

I'd be a good deal more careful in that location. Hopefully they put in plenty of antifreeze, and if anything happens because of their not properly winterizing, they'll be accountable for any repairs needed.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit