Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: "solar covers" brrr

1. Back To Top    #1

"solar covers" brrr

So our water has steadily been getting colder. Pool looks so good but so cold...

Does anyone use a solar cover - either in the spring to warm the water up faster toward fall? I'm curious. I found some on amazon with a good review. I would LOVE to warm the water up without having to buy a heater....which is going to be a separate post eventually...
    19k SW IG
    Wet Edge pebble tech = new 5/16 (replaster)
    Hayward variable speed pump (new 6/17) /Shark for cleaning
    New - filled 10/18/14 - TFP 100 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: "solar covers" brrr

Covers help maintain heat that is normally lost to evaporation or radiation at night. They do not really "add" heat. The sun adds the heat and the cover tries to maintain it at night.

They do help a good bit and are certainly the cheapest first step at warming the pool.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Experience has shown me that the term "Solar Blanket" is misleading, think instead of the term "Thermal Insulating Cover" you will get the best results with it if your pool gets direct sunlight for a number of hours each day, but the trick is to take the cover off just as the pool is no longer shaded, and put it back on when the sun gets too low in the sky to shine on the pool. by doing that everyday, the water absorbs as much heat from the sun as it can, and then the cover helps keep it in the rest of the time. unless the water is in direct sunlight, or someone is in the pool, I keep the cover on. if I'm diligent with it, I can get 8-10 degrees warmer in the pool that it would be with no cover, and still about 3-5 degrees warmer than leaving the blanket on all the time.
    25.5K gal vinyl IGP 3.5' - 8' depth. 1.5HP single speed A.O. Smith C48L2N134B1 motor on a Hayward SP2610X15 Pump. 40 ft2 D.E. Filter Hayward model EC75A. Hayward Chlorinator model CL200. single skimmer, 2 Returns. TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir.

4. Back To Top    #4

cripes. Sounds like a lot of work. Pool already down to 78, me thinks. Thanks for you input. Appreciate it.
    19k SW IG
    Wet Edge pebble tech = new 5/16 (replaster)
    Hayward variable speed pump (new 6/17) /Shark for cleaning
    New - filled 10/18/14 - TFP 100 test kit